bowtiebutler956

Wheel Horse C-160

I thought I'd post a few pics of my favorite Wheel Horse. Its an all original unrestored C-160. The thing that makes this one somewhat unusual, is that it was factory equipped with a OH-160 16hp Tecumseh, rather than the Kohler K341. I guess Kohler was unable to keep up with production, so Wheel Horse made a few with Tecumseh engines. The hood hinges are taller on these, as they needed extra clearance for the OHV Tecumseh engine. I included a picture comparing this hood to a regular hood. Some of the manuals refer to this model as a C-162, but they were still badged C-160.

I bought it with a tiller, lawn deck, and WH dump cart. I drove 550 miles to pick it up, and included a couple pics from the trip. Its original seat is in amazing condition, and still had some of the plastic around it. I use this as my dedicated tilling tractor, and intend to keep it as a worker, so no restoration is planned, at least not yet. :yankchain:  Its hard to resist restoring them. The Tecumseh engine runs very strong, and starts very easy. I did replace the dry rotted tires with some 23x10.50-12 AG tires in the rear, and tri ribs in the front. Thanks

Matt :USA:  

post-112-0-34967900-1391385121_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-89382800-1391385130_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-12247600-1391385150_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-28647600-1391385161_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-77974300-1391385198_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-95234800-1391385232_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-04092100-1391385244_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-72263100-1391385253_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-59822200-1391385268_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-35639600-1391385299_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-66996600-1391385322_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-52298600-1391385332_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-97277800-1391385375_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-61567900-1391385392_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-43330500-1391385420_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-01542800-1391385430_thumb.jpg

Reckon the drive to collect that was well worth it. Have any others been found in the same Spec that you know of Matt?. 

It look's to be in excellent condition and if it were mine , I'd keep it just as it is  :thumbs:.

Lets face it, those Techys are becoming a little thin on the ground now. 

Good that you got the User Manual with it, along with the Attachments. Super Package there !. 

Thanks for the pics

Reckon the drive to collect that was well worth it. Have any others been found in the same Spec that you know of Matt?. 

It look's to be in excellent condition and if it were mine , I'd keep it just as it is  :thumbs:.

Lets face it, those Techys are becoming a little thin on the ground now. 

Good that you got the User Manual with it, along with the Attachments. Super Package there !. 

Thanks for the pics

Thanks Richard, and yes there is another one over at Red Square. The Model Number on mine is 1-0385, and here is a link to the Toro site. It shows this model with the Tecumseh engine. https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?adv=yes&xCaller=Toro

For some reason this link doesn't take you directly to my model, but if you type C-160 in the box that says Product Name, and click on Submit in the upper right hand corner (not Lookup), then it will take you to the C-160 model numbers, and just select 1-0385, and you will see in the parts diagrams that its listed with a Tecumseh OH160.

You are right about the Tecumseh's Richard, and parts are very expensive as well, especially if its the electronics, like the ignition module, or stator! :blink:

Matt

Interesting. So that's 2 that are known !. I see it is quoted in the Wheel Horse by Years List. I like the idea of a 1974 C-162 !. 

Shame they didn't put a 'Power Bulge' in the Hood, rather than just Jack up the hinges. :lol:  

Actually, to be honest, I would have to clean up the Rims on it, but definitely leave the rest it's original Clothes. :hide:   

Thats a really nice and original wheel horse you have there, I like the rotovator attachment. I also love your front weights, they are very neat.. are they homemade?

Tom

Wow Matt , that looks in amazing condition , the paintwork looks like it has not long been restored , no fade in the colour

Thanks Neil. The paint has alot of scratches in it, but the color is still good. I figure it earned these scratches in the paint from working, and I plan to work it as well, so for now, the scratches stay!  :yankchain:

Interesting. So that's 2 that are known !. I see it is quoted in the Wheel Horse by Years List. I like the idea of a 1974 C-162 !. 

Shame they didn't put a 'Power Bulge' in the Hood, rather than just Jack up the hinges. :lol:  

Actually, to be honest, I would have to clean up the Rims on it, but definitely leave the rest it's original Clothes. :hide:   

It would have been nice if they had put a bulge in the hood Richard, that would have been awesome! Your right about the wheels Richard, I should be ashamed of myself for leaving them looking this way! :o  I guess I've been having to much fun working it. :D  This tecumseh is a strong engine, and it runs this tiller with ease, not to mention it has a nice bark out the exhaust stack I put on it. :woohoo: 

Thats a really nice and original wheel horse you have there, I like the rotovator attachment. I also love your front weights, they are very neat.. are they homemade?

Tom

Thanks Tom, and yes the front weights are homemade. The weights were off a junk JD F510 I had laying around, so I modified an extra mule drive I had, so they just snap into place. I did this, because with the tiller, (or rotovator I guess is what its called in your part of the world) on the back, it was very light in the front, and didn't like turning very well, not to mention Big Wheelies if you arent very careful. :omg:

Neat, never knew they existed! :D

Neat, never knew they existed! :D

Mark, I didn't know they existed either, until I went to buy it, and found it had a Tecumseh.  :scratchhead:  I was disappointed in the beginning, as I thought it had the wrong engine, but I bought it from the original owner, and was assured it was the original engine. After running its numbers through Toro, I found it was indeed a Tecumseh powered machine. Now I'm very pleased with my purchase, as I realize these aren't very common.

Matt 

Matt,

Add 1 more to the list. I have the one my dad bought new 40 years ago. 1974 C-160 8 speed with the Tecumseh engine, 42" SD deck, dozer blade, grader blade, disc, and cultivators. Have the registration cards, owners manuels, and advertising brochures. Where did you go to get yours?

Gary

Matt,

Add 1 more to the list. I have the one my dad bought new 40 years ago. 1974 C-160 8 speed with the Tecumseh engine, 42" SD deck, dozer blade, grader blade, disc, and cultivators. Have the registration cards, owners manuels, and advertising brochures. Where did you go to get yours?

Gary

Glad to hear of another one out there Gary! I picked mine up in Dallas Tx from the original owner. She said that she cut hair for about a year to save up enough money to buy this for her husband back in 74. Her husband passed away several years ago, and she decided it was time to part with it. Thanks

Matt