Shapnotts

Hayter 21 Gear/ transfer box problems

I'm hoping someone can help me with this one. This Hayter 21 is probably my worst Ebay purchase. To cut a long story short it always had starting problems (although that was sorted out by chatting with the friendly and very helpful staff at my local mower centre who remembered using this model back in the day and gave me tips on starting technique (it was like an out-take from the Antiques Roadshow as it created some interest from all the old-timers). It later transpired that most of the starting problems (very stiff) were due to the gearbox. When I stripped it down there was no oil at all in the box - only a load of filings where the gears had been grinding together. I'm now left with a knackered gearbox. From what I can see from casting marks on the gearbox the machine dates back to 1990. Are replacements available at all? I don't really want to pay for a new box (if available) due to the age and general condition of the machine.

As a cautionary tale I'm now aware that you must never disclose to Ebay that you have 'tampered' with a machine - I declared that I had stripped the carb and cleaned it out as part of diagnosing why the machine would not start. Both Ebay and the seller were very unhelpful. There is another old machine on Ebay - suitable for parts - but it's for sale by the very same seller I had problems with. 

20190331_160406 (1).jpg

Not only was the machine trying to drive the knackered gearbox but of course the blade disc is always connected to the engine so a 21 or Osprey needs to be in good order for trouble free starting. Another problem that afflicted 21s was that the throw of the standard throttle control was not quite enough to move the carb lever to both full choke and stop. One or the other but not both, especially when there was a bit of wear in the linkage.

As far as your purchase goes, how was the machine described? If for "spares or repairs" it is definitely "buyer beware". If described as "used" the implication should be  "may be worn but at least working" .If the ad mentions a drive problem  - again you are in trouble.

New transmissions, or even repair parts, have not been available for many years, so you are at the mercy of sellers' honesty.

Some years ago I wanted a 15" petrol Flymo to meet a customer's particular requirement and purchase one that was described as "just serviced" . It plainly hadn't been and I supplied both ebay and the seller with several images to show that it hadn't been . Ebay did nothing and the seller eventually offered a full refund providing that I payed all the return carriage costs and then put me on a "blocked buyer" list.