Wallfish

Muffler cold blue

This muffler was badly rusted. Didn't get a before pic but you can see the pits in the steel. Soaked it in vinegar for a couple days and cleaned it up on the wire wheel.

Ordered some gun cold blueing stuff and just waiting for it to arrive to try it out. If it doesn't work then I'll just go with black high heat engine paint.

Has anyone tried bluing one like the originals were? Or at least that's what I think that coating is.

IMG_0554.jpg.00b5d9182a0df4af5a5030b5b90e6a9a.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg.651bc74c9811d64d6d864134dd9d7103.jpg

I’ve thought about trying that as well. I recently bought some bluing solution for a ball peen hammer restoration.  Seems like it would look good.

51 minutes ago, CNew said:

I’ve thought about trying that as well. I recently bought some bluing solution for a ball peen hammer restoration.  Seems like it would look good.

Hammer restoration huh?

Man you're really getting into the crazy tech stuff. :yankchain:

Just bust'n, please let me know how it works out.

So the muffler came out nice. Definitely looks better than paint and super glad I tried it.

Not as blue of a tint as the originals but still. This would've been a wasted muffler before because how bad it was. Now I wouldn't hesitate to put in on an NOS engine.

Just as easy to do as paint without the over spray, smell and drying time. So it's actually easier IMO. 

I'm going to try heating it up too as it would get when the engine is running, just as an experiment because it's fine for a display but maybe not for an actual runner.

IMG_0562.jpg.aa7019055f0150c1ba714453438e35a7.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg.676f3c6a378b470f5e95868172230fcd.jpg