Martin77

1954 Atco Scythe

Just bought this off fleabay to tackle the long grass here...

post-217-0-40147900-1402133407_thumb.jpg

post-217-0-07633400-1402133405.jpg

It's an Atco scythe, series 1 model. (the series 2 had a seperate clutch for the cutter bar, with various attachments were available, much like the Allen scythes) paid a fair amount for it, but it's had a new villiers coil and cutter teeth in the last couple of years which alone would cost £160ish, so I'm happy. The former owner used to work at Atco funnily enough, which probably explains why it's been so well looked after.

It works well, apart from getting very hot and being a sod to start when warm. A quick investigation found quite alot of gunk in the fuel system which once cleared I'm hoping will sort out the running issues.

Nice machine you have there Martin, I like the Scythes, well worth it when you find one that has been properly cared for. They are worth the extra cost.

Hot running is an indicator for a dirty Carb leaning the fuel out as you've already sussed out :thumbs:. Surprised the previous owner left it like that.

Oh, I suspect it was a slow build up of dirt from the tank and he's not used it much recently, not enough for it to get hot anyway.

It's being a pig though (and I thought that was mainly the preserve of Allens)... won't start at all now. Been through the usual, cleaned the carb, checked for a spark, cleaned the points, measured the coil (3kohm)...and it's dead.

When it was working it was great to use....Grrrr.. <_<