OldBuzzard

Owatrol

Gentlemen,

I've seen a number of posts where Owatrol has been used to preserve the 'patina' of older GTs and it seems to be a well excepted practice there.

Since I am a fan of the older GT that are still in their "working man's clothes', it has peaked my interest.

So, I did a bit of Google searching, and found that Owatrol is marketed here in the Colonies. :D

http://www.owatrolusa.com/index.php?langue=en&page=contact-points-de-vente

However, I also found that Owatrol make a plethora of products, so I'm at a loss at to which "Owatrol" that you lot are talking about.

Would one (or more) of you fine gentlemen please educate me as to which Owatrol product you are using, and a bit on how it is used/applied.  I would also like to know if it is a one time solution or just a temporary one which has to be applied at intervals.

Any and all information and advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Hi Old Buzzard

In the UK it is named Owatrol oil RIP But the one you are looking for is  Owatrol oil CIP.  brush off flaky rust then apply oil with a brush very thin coat and let dry then re coat again. I used a cap of a de-icer can.post-117-0-66947600-1425569304_thumb.jpg 2 caps did my Clifford that you see

You can use it as an under coat as well have tried it and it works well

post-117-0-57268700-1425569428_thumb.jpg

I painted it in June of 2014 it looks the same as when I did it

It is a air dried oil does not seem to leave fingerprints when it is dry and dust does not stick to it

All in all I am very happy with the product

George S :england:  :tthankyou:

OB,

George got me onto Owatrol and as you know I have applied this product on my Bolens tiller. I am very pleased with the finish and I think you will too. The key thing is to ensure the surface is clean and dry and any rusty, flaky bits are rubbed off with sandpaper. Apply very thinly and it will go a long way.

I plan to to my Bolens 1254 with this technique.

A long while ago I read about someone using linseed oil thinned with white spirit to preserve an old Standard Fordson. Never tried it myself but it was said to preserve the original patina and give a pleasing appearance.

A long while ago I read about someone using linseed oil thinned with white spirit to preserve an old Standard Fordson. Never tried it myself but it was said to preserve the original patina and give a pleasing appearance.

I use Boiled Linseed oil with white spirit on the wooden handles of my garden tools to enhance the grains in the wood as well as protecting the timber. Haven't tried it on metal though.

I have used Danish oil in the past for preserving the patina on an old machine, it air dries to a hard finish several coats form a deep shine. Normally used on wood but it works well on old metal.