Stormin

Wheel Horse SD Deck

Mowed the green etc yesterday and the deck was rather noisy and vibrating somewhat. Today I removed it and found the blade on the discharge end was loose. I'm sure I'd tightened the nut fully, with threadlocker on when assembling. Maybe not?

Anyway, the blade had worn a groove in the spindle, though the blade it's self was ok. After a bit of thinking, I decided to see if I could make a temporary, permanent even, repair. So out with the spindle.

In my tool cabinet I had some Unibond Power Epoxy. Sort of metal replacing adhesive. Worth a try I thought. Filled in the worn part of the spindle and waited for the epoxy to harden. Then turned it down in the lathe until the blade was a tightish  fit. Re-assembled and made sure the nut holding the blade was good and tight.

I'll put the deck back on the C-125 tomorrow and see how things go. :fingerscrossed: It has two choices.

Meanwhile the spindle dimensions have been forwarded to that Wheel Horse hoarder in Peacehaven.

2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Mowed the green etc yesterday and the deck was rather noisy and vibrating somewhat. Today I removed it and found the blade on the discharge end was loose. I'm sure I'd tightened the nut fully, with threadlocker on when assembling. Maybe not?

Anyway, the blade had worn a groove in the spindle, though the blade it's self was ok. After a bit of thinking, I decided to see if I could make a temporary, permanent even, repair. So out with the spindle.

In my tool cabinet I had some Unibond Power Epoxy. Sort of metal replacing adhesive. Worth a try I thought. Filled in the worn part of the spindle and waited for the epoxy to harden. Then turned it down in the lathe until the blade was a tightish  fit. Re-assembled and made sure the nut holding the blade was good and tight.

I'll put the deck back on the C-125 tomorrow and see how things go. :fingerscrossed: It has two choices.

Meanwhile the spindle dimensions have been forwarded to that Wheel Horse hoarder in Peacehaven.

I wonder who that could be ?

The Unibond Power Epoxy worked a treat. Deck made a lovely job of the green and verges. :thumbs: That's the good news.

Second time I used it a crack appeared between the centre and left hand side pulleys. Actually, more of an elongated hole than a crack. A bit of plate will soon sort it.

Piece of 3mm plate sourced. Paper pattern made. Transferred to plate and cut out with jigsaw. Paint cleaned off ready for welding. Plate clamp to deck top and welding commenced.

That's when the trouble started. The steel of the shell started to show how badly it had rusted. Half inch of weld and a hole appeared. Try a different place. One inch of weld and a hole appeared. This happened two or three more times. :banghead:

So the deck was given a good inspection, (Again. The first when I got it)  and several dings found where small stones had hit the deck from underneath. Gave the dings a tap?? with a hammer and lo and behold, More holes.

So I've decided the deck has terminal rust worm and will be confined to the big skip at the farm. :(

It is now all stripped down and an idea has started to materialise. If it bears fruit the saga will resume.

That's a Bu*mer about the Deck Shell Norm:(. I may have one that size to play with in the near future to see if it's salvageable. Belongs to Roly (son of the original Yellow Mower owner).

He's having my refurb'd  36" RD Deck as he is desperate for a serviceable replacement.