rotoscytheben

another wolseley 500 grasscutter added to the collection!!

well, i spotted this whilst trawling the auction site with no name and decided to have a punt and won the old girl she,s well ridden to be frank but the deck and running gear are sound.

These are getting hard to come by these days, built like tanks and will cut most things here itpost-220-0-11113400-1413725586.jpg

will sort a better pic when ive got it in my possession 

Just picked one up 2 days ago for £20 , looks in good solid condition but the engines siezed and been mucked around with .But on the upside , due to it being a belt drive to the chain drive it looks like one of my Hayter Harrier engines will go straight onto it as the Hayter roller drive looks to be a similar size of drive pulley .

And as i buy to use , not just have to look at as it were i like the more solid built machines of yesteryear .

So off to be shot blasted ( good having a nephew with a big paint shop ) and a couple of coats of new yellow enamel should have it looking new again .

IMGP7627.JPG

IMGP7626.JPG

IMGP7624.JPG

IMGP7625.JPG

I had one of those years ago. A bigger version though. Chain drive and ag' tyres. A real beast and could cut down gooseberry bushes. :D Engine went bang one day and I scrapped it. Rear axle was lying up at the farm for years, then given to someone on here last year, who was doing one up. 

42 minutes ago, Stormin said:

I had one of those years ago. A bigger version though. Chain drive and ag' tyres. A real beast and could cut down gooseberry bushes. :D Engine went bang one day and I scrapped it. Rear axle was lying up at the farm for years, then given to someone on here last year, who was doing one up. 

The 500 is in good condition for it's age with even the tensioner working along with the throttle cable , I have a modern Hayter Harrier with roller drive that the engine looks like a straight drop in and run job .Looking forward to next years cutting season and having some fun with it .Had a look on an auction site and found Bomford yellow , looks about right for the old Wolseley , but i do like the non commercial red and white in Rotosythebens piccy , so who knows i may go with the origonal yellow or end up with a retro looking red and white .

Edited by Mister Mad Mower
extra info

Almost forgot , bought 2 new 4.10 / 3.50 x 6 knobbly quad tyres for her today .Only £18 delivered so am looking forward to them comming as the old girls rubber is perished .

Had looked at the invalid scooter tyres but they are 4 times the price of the quad tyres .

On 22/09/2016 at 7:48 PM, Mister Mad Mower said:

Almost forgot , bought 2 new 4.10 / 3.50 x 6 knobbly quad tyres for her today .Only £18 delivered so am looking forward to them comming as the old girls rubber is perished .

Had looked at the invalid scooter tyres but they are 4 times the price of the quad tyres .

Been delivered today ( Saturday ) and they look like they should grip in anything .IMGP7650.JPG