factory

O & R Carb Repair Tutorial

With some tinkering around I got it to run, with a caveat.  Playing with the primer I was able to get the engine to run with the carb half open and the needle open to about 2.5 turns.  I backed the needle out further and I was able to run it with the carb fully open.  It ran this way for about 2-3 minutes then shut off, flooded or starved I'm guessing.  I made some adjustments and went to pull it again and the cord pulled almost freely, there was little engagement.  A couple more pulls and little engagement.  I played around with it some more and it was cool now and engaging again.  Do these heat up that quickly and the parts are that loose this happens, or is mine more loose than typical?  

I haven't tried to restart it since cool down as I wonder if something else potentially happened.

Edited by MajorH

11 hours ago, Knockdown said:

Where can I purchase a diaphragm arm spring Part # 21-35 key# 12.

im brand new on here,

knockdown

:WMOM:

Where are you located?

We had resorted to making them from thin spring steel. Not sure if I have any more made but I can probably find one.

4 hours ago, Knockdown said:

I’m in Scottsdale,Az

What O&R engine or tool are you trying to fix? Can you start a new thread and add some photos?

On 6/15/2024 at 3:46 AM, Wallfish said:

:WMOM:

Where are you located?

We had resorted to making them from thin spring steel. Not sure if I have any more made but I can probably find one.

Wallfish,

have you located a diaphragm arm spring for me ?

On 6/17/2024 at 10:20 PM, Knockdown said:

Wallfish,

have you located a diaphragm arm spring for me ?

I have not been able to locate one. @CNew is near you in AZ. Do you have one Clint?

On 6/15/2024 at 9:17 PM, Knockdown said:

It’s a carburetor and there is a tutorial on it

Is that all you have is a carb? Is it not on an engine? Or the engine used for a tool? That's what CNEW was asking is what engine or tool you have the carb for.

Ok, keep us posted if it doesn’t work. I’ll keep looking through my parts stuff just in case.  Are the diaphragm and gaskets on ok condition? If the diaphragm is hard and brittle let me know.

I just got the carburetor installed and now I think I broke the starter recoil spring and I don’t know how to remove it . I’ve got the housing off but it appears that it’s riveted to the housing . Any ideas?

There should be a small cup on the center of the recoil housing that is riveted but the spring wraps around it and hooks into the cage of the recoil housing. Ther is also a retaining clip that holds the spring spool. Hard to describe. Search the Manuals section on here and there are some really good photos of how to remove the spring. I’m not sure how to add a link but here is the first page. I the Manuals section scroll down until you see the same title and you can access the entire pdf file.

better yet, I forgot Wallfish added a tutorial section on Recoil repair: 

Ohlsson & Rice Series 13A Starter Mechanism Feb 1972.pdf

I just got the carburetor installed and now I think I broke the starter recoil spring and I don’t know how to remove it . I’ve got the housing off but it appears that it’s riveted to the housing . Any ideas?

thank you for the coill repair guide and yes the spring is broken.

Does anyone know where to get another spring?

Knockdown

Thank you for the coil repair guide. I got the spool off and the spring was broken so now I need a new spring. Does anyone know where to get one?. 
I want to thank all of you guys for all your help and support 

Knockdown

4 hours ago, Knockdown said:

thank you for the coill repair guide and yes the spring is broken.

Does anyone know where to get another spring?

Knockdown

Thank you for the coil repair guide. I got the spool off and the spring was broken so now I need a new spring. Does anyone know where to get one?. 
I want to thank all of you guys for all your help and support 

Knockdown

That guide also explains how to repair the spring. By heating to cherry red then allowing it to cool . It can be bent back into shape without breaking it.

Can you please ask question in a new tread or a different thread instead of the this carb tutorial. We need to keep it cleaner and especially so with questions that do not pertain to the carb.