factory

Cylinder O ring

Does anyone know the correct thickness of the original cylinder O rings?

I have a box of assorted O rings but the larger diameter ones seem to be too thick and the cylinder won't screw down far enough to allow the starter cover to fit.

David

Thanks for measuring an original, the ones I have are about .105".

It's for the early engine from the Petro pump, the part no (33-2) used is the same from 1962 to 1972, maybe my home-made exhaust gaskets are slightly too thick, or perhaps the modern O rings don't crush enough. O rings are available in lots of different thickness on ebay, should I try some slightly smaller?

David

Seems like it must be a combination of things but I believe that cylinder needs to screw all the way in. If not, the piston can't reach the top for the best compression.

The cylinder was all the way in before I started the repair of this engine, as can be seen in this picture.

post-325-0-67092500-1422720084_thumb.jpg

This is as far as I can get the cylinder with the .105" O-ring, the gaskets were made from Klingersil C-4324 1/32" that I bought at a local engine show last year.

post-325-0-13248200-1422720105_thumb.jpg

I bought some O-rings the next size down at .079" (2mm) earlier this week, I managed to get the cylinder all the way down, but the cylinder tool T-bar got bent in the process.

post-325-0-21639200-1422720390_thumb.jpg

The engine will have to be stripped down again though, as it has lost spark. This is due to me fitting a later aluminium flywheel key when I replaced the flywheel with a later one. The flywheel must have turned when tightened. The key slot is deeper than the later crankshaft & the damaged key is now stuck. :banghead:

David

These little suckers can be very frustrating to work on. I can attest to banging my head on the wall a few times, and I bet Wallfish would say the same!

I had to remove the crankshaft to remove the damaged key, These early engines aren't as bad to strip down as the later ones though, the bearings don't escape as easily. I will need to made to a custom flywheel key for this engine, as it needs one smaller than the original but bigger than the later one.

David

As I once read from an old dude that used to work at a shop that serviced O&Rs- "Anytime an O&R came in to the shop for repair, everybody would disappear!"