Triumph66

Rejuvenating my Bolens Tiller

Last weekend I collected my Rotovator/ Tiller for my Bolens. I pressure washed the grime off it that afternoon and the following day spent a couple of hours brushing off the rust as well as degreasing it. I read George's (aka The Fife Plooman) recommendation of Owatrol and decided to try it out myself. I had a few hours spare this afternoon and it was relatively warm and sunny so I decided to give the tiller its first coat. I am happy with the results so far. I plan to do another coat over the weekend, weather and temperatures permitting. I also drained the gearbox but nowt came out! Topped it up with non synthetic gearbox oil.

Here it is when I collected it.

After being pressure washed.

post-259-0-46390400-1422898549_thumb.jpg

Sanded down and degreased. Surface prepared for application of Owatrol. Last two photos show first coat of Owatrol.

post-259-0-13868600-1422898643_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-78847800-1422898708_thumb.jpgpost-259-0-96576400-1422898785_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-15031500-1422898840_thumb.jpg

Andrew,

Looks great.

The oil seal on the shaft often fails on these tiller's, which results in all the oil emptying on the floor when they are left hitch down. When I store mine for a while I put a block under the hitch to keep it level. Hopefully this is was has happened to yours and it has not been run without oil.

Iain

I got to order some belts for the Bolens so I will add a couple oil seals with the order.

I saw some photos of some 'rat look' Bolens with tillers working the soil and I like the look of them. I want to keep the patina of the tiller and the oil will preserve the metal work as well as accentuating the remaining paintwork. I will apply this technique to the 1254. The 800 will be my Show Queen as it were but another 600/800/1000 shaped Bolens will look cool in its original state.

I am sure everyone is getting excited about seeing action pictures of your tiller.

Sounds like you are looking out for the next Bolens.  :thumbs:  In my opinion the round hood Bolens are the most attractive. As I'm sure you know, a 600 is as rare as rocking horse poo and if you do find one don't forget that they are shorter than the other tubeframe tractors and the attachments are not interchangeable.

You missed the 900 from your list. They are a little odd in that they have a fiberglass instead of metal cover over the rear wheels.

I have a 600 and a 900 but would really like a 800 and 1000 too. If one comes up that we both see we will either have to have a gentleman's agreement or fight for it, could be fun.

Iain

I do like the round hood Bolens firstmost followed closely by the Ride a Matics models. Actually to be honest I like all the Bolens tractors! I have forgotten that the 600 is the smaller one and having it own set of implements.

I would like to get a RAM tractor first if I could but need to sort out the storage plus putting some cash aside.

As for Gentlemen's Agreement, awfully nice of you to let me have first dibs ..........

I applied a second coat a few weekends back and I am really pleased with the results. It got a nice protective sheen to it as well as enhancing the patina of the machine itself. I would like to use this hence the reason why it has not been repainted. I guess if I got another tiller, I would more than likely get it repainted as part of my rally kit.

post-259-0-77403000-1425222899_thumb.jpg

post-259-0-75005000-1425222940_thumb.jpg

Hi,

That looks great, I keep meaning to try this stuff, it really brings the colour out. Where did you get it from? Does it go very far?

Tom

Thanks Tom.

Google Owatrol and the company website will come up.

I got one litre from them and I have hardly used any so far. I intend to apply it to the Bolens 1254 I got plus a couple of 'working implements' I have. George, aka The Fife Plooman on this forum, put me onto them. Have a look at his post too.

So far I am pleased with it.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I also want to do it to some of my working implements and tractors. I had a quick look on the website, did you get polytrol or just standard owatrol oil?

Tom

Nice looking "Round Back" tiller you have there Andrew :thumbs:

One thing that you should be aware of is that the round back tillers are LIGHT DUTY tillers, and are meant for previously worked ground.

They can handle a limited amount of 'virgin ground', but I wouldn't do that too often, and only on a very small plots.

Like Iain said, don't store it 'hitch down'. Keep it level or pointing up.

That tiller would be useable on a 600 as long as you had the shorter prop shaft.

One other bit of advice. With the one piece prop shaft, mounting it on a tractor requires the proper swear words muttered (or shouted as the case may be) in the proper sequence, a good alignment of the stars, and the sacrifice of at least one goat and sometimes two.

Getting everything lined up CAN be a chore  :D :D :D

Edited by OldBuzzard

One other bit of advice. With the one piece prop shaft, mounting it on a tractor requires the proper swear words muttered (or shouted as the case may be) in the proper sequence, a good alignment of the stars, and the sacrifice of at least one goat and sometimes two.

Getting everything lined up CAN be a chore  :D :D :D

I feel so much better reading this as I thought it was just me that struggles. It makes me smile when you see the adverts that showh a girlie in her Sunday best apparently fitting it with ease. I have developed my own technique but that does not always work out.

For every implement I buy it means another Bolens tractor have to be bought so I only have to align it once!

Well that's my excuse anyway.....

Way to go :thumbs:

I LIKE the way you think :thumbs:

I would like to do the same, but with as many attachments as I have, that many tractors wouldn't fit on my property :D :D :D

I would so much like to be in that position :)

Iain