HeadExam

Bolens hood adjustment

Whats the trick to get the hood and dash to mate up flush and not overlap on my 1556. I tried putting spacers in the front where the hood attaches, but that didn't help, now I'm thinking its the dash that needs adjusting. Anyone have that issue? Thanks a bunch, Alain

Yep had that problem. You have two adjustment points available.

The holes in the hood where it attaches to the hinge are slotted and I found the best way to adjust them is to slacken the bolts, close the hood and slide it to the desired position. The hard bit is to do the bolt up with the hood closed, I usually do the outside two to hold it in position and then open the hood to get to the middle one. Picture of the hood slots on my G14

post-276-0-45814900-1428694904_thumb.jpg

You can also move the dash tower/scuttle thing forward/back using the fixings holding it to the chassis tubes. This is best done with the battery removed as it then has very little weight. If you move the tower you need to be careful to make sure the wiring is still clear of the belts. This is a picture of the bracket (one on each side), in this case on my G10 but they are all the same. On some models the chassis tubes are covered up and if this is the case with your machine you will need to remove the covers first to get to the brackets.

post-276-0-77770800-1428694963_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Iain

Ever thought about doing a Haynes Manual for Bolens tractors Iain :D

Chris, I am sure I could do you an autographed copy for the right price :)

I would need to buy more tractors before considering writing a manual, now that's a thought or is it just another excuse :blink:

Iain

A very useful and informative post Iain.

Chris I have already suggested that Iain should write a book on the History of Bolens Garden Tractors; a Haynes Workshop would further compliment his work.

Yep had that problem. You have two adjustment points available.

The holes in the hood where it attaches to the hinge are slotted and I found the best way to adjust them is to slacken the bolts, close the hood and slide it to the desired position. The hard bit is to do the bolt up with the hood closed, I usually do the outside two to hold it in position and then open the hood to get to the middle one. Picture of the hood slots on my G14

attachicon.gifphoto 12.JPG

You can also move the dash tower/scuttle thing forward/back using the fixings holding it to the chassis tubes. This is best done with the battery removed as it then has very little weight. If you move the tower you need to be careful to make sure the wiring is still clear of the belts. This is a picture of the bracket (one on each side), in this case on my G10 but they are all the same. On some models the chassis tubes are covered up and if this is the case with your machine you will need to remove the covers first to get to the brackets.

attachicon.gifphoto 11.JPG

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Iain

Really helped ALOT, I never thought about moving the entire tower, I just thought about angling the dash. THANK YOU, Alain

One of the many reasons it would be a bad idea for me to write a haynes manual is that I forgot a essential step to moving the tower, it has been bugging me ever since I posted  :huh:

You also have to slacken the four bolts holding the tower to the exhaust cover panel, two bolts on each side. Again the holes are slotted to allow for the adjustment. Picture of the bolts, this time from a H16 for variety

post-276-0-49878000-1428758815_thumb.jpg

Sorry Alain, I do better next time. Iain

One of the many reasons it would be a bad idea for me to write a haynes manual is that I forgot a essential step to moving the tower, it has been bugging me ever since I posted  :huh:

You also have to slacken the four bolts holding the tower to the exhaust cover panel, two bolts on each side. Again the holes are slotted to allow for the adjustment. Picture of the bolts, this time from a H16 for variety

attachicon.gifphoto13.JPG

Sorry Alain, I do better next time. Iain

My tunnel cover and dash tower are fitting tight, no way to move it rearward, unless the tower can go over the tunnel cover, I haven't got that far. I am also out of room to adjust the slot slot as well, its at its furthest point back.. I'm hoping I can adjust with the slots on the hood. Your doing fine mate, were all muddling through most of this anyway, and that's the fun of it.

Edited by HeadExam