HeadExam

Bolens 1556 gets a good scrubbing

I thought it would be best to remove some tin and power wash the old grease and dirt from the 1556. Heavy duty detergent/degreaser was in order more than a straight degreaser as I did not have hardly any of the gooey stuff. In the process I acquired a new OEM batter hold down, drag link, correct seat spring (going to have the old seat recovered), I also removed the pieces of wire that were used as hairpins and cotter pins and order 25 new Phillips head truss bolts for the body tin. I also replaced a #12 wire that the PO had used for the battery ground with a proper ground wire. I was missing a bracket and speed nuts on one side of the dash tower, but that was easily fabricated and I had the speed nuts. The hydraulic tank straps were make shift tin packing straps so I'm waiting on a OEM set to come around. Next, I'll remove, clean, and repack the wheel bearings and give all the grease zerks several good squirts. It appears that I will be removing the hood (bonnet) and wheels and painting the whole tractor. It won't be a proper job, but it will suffice and slow the aging process. Here are a few pics before and after the scrubbing, I'm next. The previous owner in fit of intellectual wisdom welded an extension on the front plow blade lift bar to use as the the tiller lift bar. In that one moment he attempted to destroy one piece in order to make another. I will be "removing the extension and acquiring the proper rear lift rod. His work on the the snow caster chute adjustment rod was of the same engineering quality. The snow caster was from an older smaller tractor, possibly a 733, and he needed to lengthen the rod. Rather than build a new rod, he cut the old rod and welded in a piece of rebar (the round metal rods used below cement), he was a regular Herbert Einstein he was. 

post-384-0-31367900-1429140992_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-73994400-1429141028_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-76097100-1429141055_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-36263000-1429141075_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-06070100-1429141126_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-28739600-1429141140_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-54705600-1429141160_thumb.jpg

Looks like you are getting it together.

FYI, Jestin at www.tubeframes.com can supply you with the proper lift rods at a pretty decent price.

I've done business with him and he's good people.

Thanks OB, I have done business with him in the past, he got me a new drag link and some other parts. He's my go to guy, just wish he had more parts, I need some straps for the hydraulic oil tank and a parking brake knob. Previous owners keep me busy.

Looking good Alain.

Do you know the exact size/specification of those Phillips head truss bolts as I need to order a few too and I am sure they will be much harder to find in the UK?

I am not sure why Bolens thought it was a good idea to attach the hydraulic tank to the seat pan, it would have been so much easier if the tank was attached to a bracket fixed to the chassis.

It will be interesting to see what the correct parking brake knob looks like as it has been replaced on all of my hydro's with something completely different.

Keep up the good work

Iain

Looking good Alain.

Do you know the exact size/specification of those Phillips head truss bolts as I need to order a few too and I am sure they will be much harder to find in the UK?

I am not sure why Bolens thought it was a good idea to attach the hydraulic tank to the seat pan, it would have been so much easier if the tank was attached to a bracket fixed to the chassis.

It will be interesting to see what the correct parking brake knob looks like as it has been replaced on all of my hydro's with something completely different.

Keep up the good work

Iain

The screws are 5/16"-18x5/8" SAE the picture in the ebay ad just shows a generic screw picture, so I'm hope the head is as big and beefy as the original. I plan on replacing all 25, so I don't think it will look look too bad, and for 10.00 for 25 screws the price was right. They should be here any day now so I'll post a picture of the actual fasteners when they arrive. Also the parking brake knob is a triangle shape fluted knob, exactly like the later models, but red rather than black. Here's a picture of the knob below the link 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400465627340?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

post-384-0-40674900-1429201535_thumb.jpg

The screws are 5/16"-18x5/8" SAE the picture in the ebay ad just shows a generic screw picture, so I'm hope the head is as big and beefy as the original. I plan on replacing all 25, so I don't think it will look look too bad, and for 10.00 for 25 screws the price was right. They should be here any day now so I'll post a picture of the actual fasteners when they arrive. Also the parking brake knob is a triangle shape fluted knob, exactly like the later models, but red rather than black. Here's a picture of the knob below the link 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400465627340?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks Alain, after having an unsuccessful quick scan of the companies I usually use for fasteners I think I will probably use the same company you have. The shipping is more than the fasteners so I will order loads. I probability need to anyway as PO's of my machines have removed and lost a significant number. It does make me smile how PO's either leave fasteners missing or replace them with metric, and then for variety play with the electrics. ;)

I will wait to see how you get on with the ones you have on order first. It would be good to see a picture of a new screw next to the original.

Iain