HeadExam

Tube Frame Belt Issue

On all my Bolens manuals it list the two engine belts as 1/2 x 34" in all the different parts manuals (1556, H14, H16, but when I google that Bolens part number, 1720573, it comes back as a 1/2" x 30" belt, 4 inches is a lot of difference, like 10 cm, anyone have any idea why? Thanks, Alain

Seems no one else new either, but I'm not buying belts that don't fit, so the old ones will have to do, customer service at parts houses has become an oxymoron

Dr. Bolens emailed me and told me the manuals were WRONG and that the belts were 30" for all hydros, but that some geared models were 34", I'm making a note of that in all my manuals. Thanks Andrew and OB. I bought a set of three belts for my 1476 and the place I bought them from assured me they were all the same size, they  were not, that's why you buy matched sets. In fact you can go to any parts store and measure two belts of the same size and often there will be a difference in size, it makes a big difference on double and triple pulleys. Thanks again guys.

Alain,

Glad to hear that that little anomaly is solved! Also pleased with myself that I actually contributed something constructive about Bolens!

Andrew

Don't sell yourself short Andrew, you know a bunch. This is a place we share information, if I was as smart as my wife I wouldn't need you guys, lol

Alain,

I saw this post come in but I was so busy last week that I was unable to reply. I tripped over that problem a few years ago and spent a very long time head scratching before I found the solution. I see the Andrew and Dave jumped to the rescue :thumbs:

I only realised the parts manual (1556, H14, H16) was wrong when I noticed that the G14 parts manual also shows a 34 inch belt but with a different part number to the H16. One of them was clearly not 34 inches.

It is the only problem I have found with the Bolens parts manuals. If anyone has found other anomalies it would be good to know.

Iain  

Finding the right belt size can be a problem. We ran into that with the HDT1000 refurbish.

The PTO sheave is a different size that the one used on the other HT tractors.  That's because the engine runs as 3200 RPM as opposed to the 3600 of the petrol engines. The size difference is needed to get the proper PTO speed.

The problem is that while they list the part number, the length isn't shown.

However, with a bit of searching on the net I found this page which should help  :D :D :D

http://www.jhf.com/home/services/units-converter/calculate-v-belt-length