HeadExam

Monsoon Season is here

We are over 20 inches above normal for rain this year, and it looks like rain for the entire last week of the year. It has rained all morning and I set the pump out by the back door, Its a 1/2 hp pump and the water is exiting the end of the hose with enough force to put out most small fires. The bad news is they are forecasting 6-10 more inches on top of we have already received, it is around 60 degrees Fahrenheit and tornado warning are in effect for the next two days. Starting Monday a cold front comes in and temps drop into the low 30s and the rain will turn to ice, followed by snow, hopefully not to much. Here are some pictures out the porch, back yard, and Loch Pepin. Hoping the dam does not give way

post-384-0-57999000-1451168709_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-64969700-1451168712_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-75695800-1451168714_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-24149600-1451171000_thumb.png

Thanks, unfortunately we lost power a couple of hours ago and along with every thing else, the pump has stopped working and we are watching the water creep toward the house. I'm thankful for my phone. Rain to continue through out today and changing to freezing rain, ice, sleet, then snow. I have a generator at a friends, but our road is still impassable due to high water

Power has been restored, and back poor is drained. The problem with this home started when it was built in 1966, they scraped the grass off the ground and built the house on a cement slab BELOW grade. In Oklahoma we have a history of poor education that started before the turn of the century. In fact before 1907 white children could not go to school unless their parents home schooled them or paid to build a school, only Indian children had public schools. This translated into a lack of education in white (non indigenous) people living in Oklahoma born in the 1930's and 1940's and still effects the population today. We do not have many basements in Oklahoma due to the lack of skilled and educated craftsman, even in the 1920's and 1930's they were building houses on top of rock (just plain rocks) piers paced on the corners and inside the floor area, and using tin roofs.

The water is to the top of the dam, spilling out the left side slough. Good news is I received the power bill for the month and it was a little less than expected. Being total electric has its advantages and disadvantages, what I really need is a whole house diesel or propane generator for emergencies

post-384-0-91194700-1451251788_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-86762300-1451251800_thumb.jpg