Lauber1

Bigger tractor power, but old

Just so every one doesnt think I only have garden tractors, I'll provide you with some pic's of tractors here not commonly seen. I do after all live in the middle of a large corn field, so some larger power is needed once in a while.

post-115-0-30894900-1390875327_thumb.jpgpost-115-0-80272000-1390875367_thumb.jpg

Here is my 1959 Case 601-B, a 50hp diesel, with an 8 speed trans, not many of these made.

The second machine is a 1961 M&M model M-5, which has a 60hp gas engine, a 5 speed trans with a torque amp. This tractor will go over 30mph on the road, which is plenty fast for a narrow front.  

I don't know much about the history of the Case's past, but the Minni belonged to one of two old bachelor farmers, who past on, and his brother never used it for 13yrs. It was only used with a 5 bottom plow, when it was used and has only 1100hrs on it.

That's a couple of serious sized tractors!

I too really like the Case 601-B, but that might have something to do with it having a full size wheel track at the front rather than the narrow one :)

Big machines, Might be a silly question but what is their  particular job on  your farm

I like the case 601-B

I don't find the question silly at all. We farm 500 acres of row crops, have hogs and cows, so these tractors are middle sized there. They are both my input to the farms machinery corp. My Father and brother provide most of the other machinery. Mostly they do pulling jobs that we don't want to tie up a bigger unit for. Both do a lot of pto work, like mowing, augers etc. In the picture the Case is running a vacuum manure tank, pumping out a plugged septic tank. The tank hold 1200gl, and the full load weight is 9600# plus the tank unit. The Case handles it well, but the Minni is a little lite in the front to operate it properly and safely.

there are roughly 10 units that work the farm, mostly Deeres'. The biggest is a 4850 @ 152hp, two 4020's @120hp, 4320 @ 145hp, 3020 @ 70hp, 1055 @ 25hp and a 861 Ford at 32hp. There is also an M IH with a mount picker, but we never take the picker off of it.

There are also several other tractors floating around, JD-G, JD-730, JD-720, JD-A, JD-B, Massey 44 special, M&M-U, Ford 901,Massey 22. Yes, there is some collecting going on down there by others in the family.

Other than my two bigger units, I'm strictly on a horticultural diet here. There were around 100 units here at one time, but I paired it down to 40 or 50 a few yrs ago. At one time I farmed only market veggies, and used only the walkers on 12 acres.