Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Briggs & Stratton round exhaust

I am restoring a good B & S small Hayterette Engine, the exhaust is in very good condition. However I want to get the screw in exhaust out without causing any damage. It seems to be stuck fast, help please. Regards Colin

Have a look through this B & S tutorial  first Colin ...... Muffler    .

If you are careful, it should come off without any damage.

Something I use to separate reluctant joints etc is to take advantage of the qualities of the the metals involved.

For example, if like several of my engines, yours is Aluminium, and the Muffler being Steel , you could get some heat into it by running so the Block and Muffler are warm/hot.

Then aim to cool the muffler quickly while the heat stays in the engine. Ali expands at a greater rate than steel, so it will contribute to cracking the joint.

To speed up the cooling, I use a Freezer Spray (Ambersil), which I also use for fitting bearings etc (other makes available).

The freezer spray won't affect the job that the Penetrating Oil does, in fact it assists it by creating a tiny gap in the joint and lets the Oil flow into it better by capillary action.

Regards.

At a guess you aiming to paint the engine??

If all else fails then cant you mask off the exhaust while you do this? Then the reverse for the exhaust when you paint that

Thanks lads. this forum is a learning curve. Using a carpentry G Clamp I managed to grip it without causing damage. Yes another paint job. I have three Haterette's to restore. Really lucky two of them released the cutting disc by undoing the nut, wasted £16 on a step drill.

Regards Colin