neil

How do i build an E tank

Plenty of threads on this elsewhere Neil, but it's pretty easy to start small and work up.

So I'd start with a small tub/barrel....

Fill to the top with water, add a few tablespoons of washing Soda crystals, not bicarbonate!

Find a piece of clean steel and fasten it to the inside running down to the bottom, I usually put this inside a piece of plastic waste pipe with holes in. This stops it shorting out on the piece you are cleaning.

Find either a good battery charger, or a good battery with a reasonable charger. You need a good 12v supply.

Connect the positive to the clean metal with wire/crocs clips. Try not to let the clips go into the solution.

Connect the negative to the dirty piece and lower it into the tank.

If you have a reasonable charger the current will move up to around 1A depending on the size of the anode and piece being cleaned.

After a few mins you should see bubbles coming from the piece being cleaned, after an hour there will be a brown scum floating on the top.

The rest is patience, some pieces clean pretty quick, some take days/weeks. You have to keep cleaning the anode and sometimes help by scraping some of the loose paint away.

I think that kinda covers the basics

Everything that Mark has mentioned above.

If you haven't done so yet , look it up on the Web, There are important things to understand about what kind of metals must never be put in the E-Tank.

They can produce toxic chemical gasses (basically no Non Ferrous). 

The normal process on Mild, Black and Carbon steels, also Cast Iron produces Explosive Hydrogen Gas, must be well ventilated area.

I also read somewhere to avoid using Battery Chargers that have an 'Auto Cut Out'.

Read everything you can find on the subject is the best advice

Everything that Mark has mentioned above.

If you haven't done so yet , look it up on the Web, There are important things to understand about what kind of metals must never be put in the E-Tank.

They can produce toxic chemical gasses (basically no Non Ferrous). 

The normal process on Mild, Black and Carbon steels, also Cast Iron produces Explosive Hydrogen Gas, must be well ventilated area.

I also read somewhere to avoid using Battery Chargers that have an 'Auto Cut Out'.

Read everything you can find on the subject is the best advice

i wouldn't worry about the hydrogen to much, i tried lighting it and it gave some pops. if your shack is airtight okay but otherwise nah, just leave the door open a bit

Koen

What you say Koen is pretty well understood and probably a foregone conclusion.

The exception is if you have low windows or door openings, the Hydrogen will build up and remain at the highest point and may not necessarily be blown away or diluted by ventilation to a point below combustibility.

Then you consider the location of your Flourescent Lights and how they become illuminated when you turn them on !! .

The 'Starter' in the lights create a spark which is open to the atmosphere hydrogen and oxygen.....Boom Baby !!!   :D    Guaranteed to raise the Roof

I miss my old E-tank..

PB170057.jpg

Big enough to fit a bonnet in..

PA280206.jpg

Or even a body :D

PA280208.jpg

My current E-Tank.. A bit smaller than my old one but still a handy size..  The wheel had only just been put in..

TSS14731.jpg

When the wheel came out a few days later you could brush the paint off with your finger.

TSS14740.jpg