Sign in to follow this  
Potash123

Harrier 2

I have acquired my first Harrier 2 which is very tidy. The owner praised the machine, but said the drive may need freeing off. ?? I am busy finishing a Hayterette restoration, so I thought I would put the question to the forum. Are these similar drives to the Osprey or what am I up against. Many thanks.  

Totally different design. Confusingly the original Harrier was a two speed machine with a dog clutch and two primary drive chains but the Harrier 2 was a single speed machine; still with a dog clutch. I believe that neither the male or female parts of the dog clutch are available from the manufacturer but there may be some on the shelf somewhere. The dogs would wear and the machine would chatter and judder. With care it is possible to true up the dogs with a thin grinding or cutting disc on an angle grinder. That said I've seen a few failed attempts!

The final version of the Harrier 2 ( still pale green with cast alloy chassis) used the Briggs and Stratton with the Powertrac clutch enclosed in the sump; long story but the cause of much grief, several modifications and finally a retro fit kit back to a dog clutch.

Then the dark green dark single speed Harrier 48 , with a belt drive and followed by the variable speed one with two belts and  " variator".

Thanks Wristpin. Just ordered a new diaphragm as the fuel is not being pulled into the cylinder. Good spark and compression otherwise. Regards Potash

A properly set up diaphragm will help but do observe the choke butterfly and see that it is closing correctly. The butterfly spindle is in two separate parts that push in and clip to the butterfly flap. Those spindle sections eventually wear oval and the flap no longer seals. Assuming that they are still available its a two minute job to change them. The choke flaps came in three types, plain with no hole, with an open hole and with a hole with a spring poppet valve. If you have a bad starter it may be worth fitting a plain flap or sealing the hole in the existing one if applicable.

It may seem obvious but those models with the fuel tank below the carb always need a few pulls to lift the fuel but a full tank helps. Also they often cold start better with the throttle just off the stop position and the engine allowed to warm up and settle for a few seconds before fully opening the throttle slowly. 

Fitted the new diaphragm today, couple of pulls to prime it and off it went. Warmed it up and engaged the drive and off it went. Another one saved from the breakers. I think this still has the original spark plug. Will service it and advertise on ebay. I will bring my Hayter 21 home from the garden centre and see if she runs. A very clean 21 indeed.