S1g

My oldest and newest gems.

Here's some shots of my oldest and newest gems. The first is a roteho gem number g367. I'm still looking for a gearbox for this one( needs to come off a machine with the number g500 or lower).-if ny one can help?

The second is a dowdeswell 650, this also needed a new gearbox, which I've now managed to turn up a correct period one. G367 is from 1942 and the 650 from 1988, even tough they are 46 years apart you can see bar the engine how little the design changed over the years.

post-104-0-58732600-1391367817_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-51239200-1391367869.jpg

The Dowseswell looks like it had a hard life...what horsepower is it ? its a big  engine compared to what powered the earlier machine.

Hope you get the parts for the earlier BJ gem , ive got to like the British junior engine (working on one at present as you know ) but cant stop checking oil tank to be sure oil is pumping back to tank!!!,,,,,,looks similiar to the earlier australia built Aj engine.

Hi pat, the dowdswell does look a bit rough in the photos however most of it is superficial. The biggest problem with any diesel gem but particuarly the ruggerni version is that no thought was given to the extra vibration trying to shake the machine to pieces. The reason this one needs a gearbox is the original owners son used to start it up for the old boy in the morning then it was left ticking over all day and all the shafts etc have worn away at the casing. The rear rotor covers have in exceptional condition and it is still supposed to be on its original set of tines. I believe it is rated at 9-10hp.

With reference to the earlier machine ive also got an Australian junior, apparently quite an early example, probably dating from around 1930. There is a lot of similarities. The roteho in picture has a British junior fitted however after researching its history in the factory records it would of originally had a jap engine instead, so I have obtained a 1940's example redy to fit should I ever turn up another gearbox. From g501 onwards the gearbox (and thus main frame)was lengthened by about 2inches to incorprate a change of design to the the main shaft berring.

Here's a shot of g621, another early gem that I own, after nearly two years of trying I still haven't persuaded the clutch to come off the main shaft.

Also here's my Australian junior.

post-104-0-57906400-1391427616_thumb.jpg

post-104-0-76503800-1391427784_thumb.jpg

Hi Gareth I always had it in my head that the early British built Howard gems had the BJ engine...didn't realise that the jap engine was available in the those first few hundred machines.  Was expecting the ruggerni  version  to be bigger horsepower.

Any idea when the last British Juniors engines were made?

Edited by howardman

As far as I'm aware japs were avaliable scince the1930's, the howard 6 that I regrettably needed to sell had one. Very early gems with the cycle type handlebars were fitted with japs when they were avaliable, although Howard's even raided scrap yards for motorcycle engines to keep production going, then were retro fitted at a later date with the correct engine when materials became avaliable. The more normal type handle bar series 1 machines were fitted with British junior engines. Series 2 usually had British juniors fitted, but sometimes the jap was fitted. Series 3 had both options, then most 4's had the 180 degree version of Howard's twin but a small batch came with japs for some reason. Series 4 was the first time a diesel-the Sachs, was an option. British juniors were made into the early 50's. re the ruggerni, diesel horsepower I s always more than the equivalent petrol.

Hi Gareth I always had it in my head that the early British built Howard gems had the BJ engine...didn't realise that the jap engine was available in the those first few hundred machines.  Was expecting the ruggerni  version  to be bigger horsepower.

Any idea when the last British Juniors engines were made?

Hi pat just looked it up in the dowdswell price list of 1986 and its actually listed as 12hp. If its any interest the list price was £2678, in those days a small car wouldn't of cost that much more new!

hi all im new hear  I recently bought a howard rotavator I not sure of the model, but I looking to get it looked at as I got it for my partners uncle so my question is do yous know any one here in Ireland that can work on it as I not the time.