CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Mustang 149 Chainsaw - No Air Filter?

Started cleaning up a Mustang 149 chainsaw this afternoon and noticed it doesn’t have any sort of air cleaner. The engine is a Type 236. The intake end of the carburetor does not have a little bar inside the throat or a hole drilled through the edge to use the standard screw hook and air cleaner assemblies common to these engines.  Anyone have a guess at what kind of air cleaner would have been used on this saw?  And if you know, does anyone have an extra they would like to sell?

Thsnks,

Clint

C114C5EF-B98F-4087-A142-11E093276A7C.jpeg

David, 

You’re amazing. Well that’s not what I was expecting, very interesting air cleaner. I’m a little bummed because that doesn’t look like a common part and it will probably take me quite some time to find one, if ever. 

Another question, it looks like the fuel line/pick up tube inside the tank is not metal and has the original rubber fuel line which has all but degraded. I doubt I’ll ever find a NOS gasket for the tank. Have you had tried or had any success using RTV type silicone gasket from a tube on these types of applications?

Tha is,

Clint

I was going to suggest a seller that may have one (but they must be on holiday as their listings are hidden), but it may be cheaper for you to buy another saw than an air filter. Found these bargains under completed listings (we can only dream of finding an O&R chainsaw at those prices over here in the UK);

639808747_Screenshot_2018-12-29orlinechainsaweBay.png.657641a3c50f3a9d6ce79743e4010831.png

Keep looking, I don't think it will be as hard to find as you think.

Also I have seen the tank seals on ebay (none recently though), I would advise not taking them apart unless you need to, as the service notes mention the seal swells if it has been used;

690200138_OhlssonRiceChainSawServiceNotetankseal.jpg.8e6f1500fac267cc090c5eac78e4823e.jpg

I would advise against using any silicone sealant that is acid based/curing as it will corrode the alloy, read the safety data-sheets of anything you find as they usually mention the chemicals used and also make sure it won't be dissolved by the gas/fuel.

I haven't taken any of my tanks apart, but 'Terry L' on here did (a base tank) in this thread here;

David

David, 

Thank you!  I was just researching Three one, Yamabond, Permatex Motoseal and AllSeal as possible gasket makers when your note came through. The inside of my my 149 tank is completely black, looks like dried varnish or something. The fuel line inside is also trashed so I don’t know if I have any other choice but to open it up. There’s no way to get a new fuel line in there and hooked up to the pick-up filter.  I’ll check out the thread you linked as well.

Clint

Here they are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orline-123-Chainsaw-OEM-Cover-Plate/152095261381?hash=item23699582c5:g:pUwAAOSwXSJXPJLW

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Orline-123-Chainsaw-OEM-Air-Filter/162075193277?hash=item25bc6f2fbd:g:gCoAAOSwXSJXPJGj:rk:88:pf:0

This guy is really expensive on his parts and I would check with me before buying anything from him. This housing is hard to find and he is selling them separately. I would ask him if he could put them together at one price- I have new filters. Hopefully sometime this month, I can get everything together for you. Like I said, I kinda want to do an "all for one" deal. Please be patient.

2 hours ago, Webhead said:

This guy is really expensive on his parts

That was the seller I was thinking of, I don't understand why they keep listing assemblies separately either. It's the same with the tanks, one half each listing, all the internals removed and the hard to find seal ruined.

Not they also damage some parts on removal and advertise stuff that belongs in the scrap, check before buying.

David

P.S. some O&R engines never had air filters either, the outboard motors being one example.

Webhead,

Thank you for the links. I’ve seen this guys parts listed before and also thought they were a bit on the high side. I will contact him and see if he might combine the pieces. No worries on the parts, I’ll be here and in always in need - I hope I’m able do the “all in one”.

I’ve been contemplating in the worst case drilling a hole in the carb lip to install an older style air filter with hook screw on the 149 if I can’t find a reasonable priced assembly or maybe even another parts saw over the course of the next few weeks and months. There is actually a small semi-hole that is cast into the carb body that looks to be where they would normally mount the old style hook screw.

Thsnks,

Clint

59269D20-8EA5-4634-B34A-3073191C645C.jpeg

37 minutes ago, CNew said:

I’ve been contemplating in the worst case drilling a hole in the carb lip to install an older style air filter with hook screw on the 149 if I can’t find a reasonable priced assembly

Those are even harder to obtain as they are more commonly missing, I tend to bid less on engines or tools missing these, exhaust parts or tanks, but there must be a pile of these unobtainium parts removed from RC modded engines somewhere. :unsure:

David

I agree, i prefer to buy complete items as well. This was a bit of a newby mistake on my part since I’m still learning the details of all these tools that used the O&R engines. When I was looking to get this particular saw I didn’t realize it was missing such a unique air cleaner set up. I had seen other photos of the Mustang Model 149 on the web that had the more standard air filter assembly so I didn’t even think twice. I just assumed it was missing the more common air cleaner and I thought I’d be able to find one of those or harvest one from some other parts engine.  Learning my lessons:huh:

The common type air cleaner assembly may be the most asked for part, other than the carb diaphragm. They have become like hen's teeth as well.

That’s good to know... and a bit of a bummer. Well!

I’m getting close to doing my first open carb surgeryB)  I’ll be following the detailed rebuild process posted here; I’ve been studying it quite a bit lately.

Clint

Looks like the best deal for the parts off eBay is about $51. Still seems a little high but then again I don’t know the rarity.

$51? sounds like no discount at all to me, also the fixings aren't with it, personally I wouldn't buy any more of that sellers bits without seeing more pictures of the item (you can't always tell the condition from one picture), I've been disappointed before.

The Orline chainsaws turn up more often than you may think, which is reflected in the low prices achieved for auctions on ePay (see post #5). I certainly would rather buy a parts saw than the two BIN items.

David

I agree with you David. I was disappointed that combining shipping was all for the dell. I asked about the mounting hardware as well. I think I’ll keep looking for a parts saw since I’m not in a huge rush and can rig up some green filter foam temporarily on the carb just to test the engine once I completely go through it- rebuild the carb, do something about the fuel tank, etc. I’m really not looking forward to splitting the fuel tank but it’s so corroded I think I have to. I’m wondering if the previous owner did something wrong with the gas/oil mixture or something. The oil reservoir looks really clean, it’s the fuel side that is in really bad shape.

Clint

I'm surprized this one is still available, I've linked it before a long time ago when someone else was looking for one (it's still wrongly listed as a muffler image.png.e78f29237e0266fac919d22a1b74ca29.png).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/151587552778

1 hour ago, CNew said:

I’m really not looking forward to splitting the fuel tank but it’s so corroded I think I have to. I’m wondering if the previous owner did something wrong with the gas/oil mixture or something. The oil reservoir looks really clean, it’s the fuel side that is in really bad shape.

Was the saw you bought this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2047675.l2557

It looks nice & clean from the outside, usually the alloy rots badly if the original owner didn't clean the sawdust off (the sap is corrosive) after use.

If the inside of your tank looks like one in the first two pictures then it may just be crud, the third picture shows a tank with alloy that is self corroding. Note there were three different tank seals depending on the serial number of the engine.

1927124664_tank1aa.jpg.5da65e413ea1cf77de4124b32741bbb4.jpg1559377228_tank1ba.jpg.47af736dc57ab2ba5f4824010ed648c2.jpg1618715988_tank2aa.jpg.9a33f69a15007250b5646f3859360c08.jpg

David

David,

I’ve actually had that air filter assembly in my Watch List for awhile now and even asked the seller to send more photos, but nothing yet.  I may try again. I want to make sure it’s in decent condition.

Yes, that’s the 149 I bought - you’re good.  It is overall a very clean saw except for the tank. It needs a good cleaning for sure and I haven’t checked the gear box or anything yet. I did have to dismantle and thoroughly clean, oil and re-tension the recoil spring.  Interestingly the corrosion in the tank doesn’t look like typical junk or the white discoloration typical of alloys. Rather, it’s all black and yellow inside - almost what you would expect for burnt oil residue.  I tried everything to get a good photo but just could get good lighting inside one pic isn’t of the oil chamber and the other isn’t the fuel/oil chamber. It’s basically a charred black inside and all the fuel lines and filters are rotted.

318998B1-D933-4652-B2B9-CFEA76F7116A.jpeg

6B384EBE-1762-4549-9BFB-545D6089C573.jpeg