Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

The cork seal on the tap plunger had dried out and the plunger was very loose, after doing some research (IE google) I put it in boiling water for 10 minutes and applied some petroleum jelly to the seal. It seems to have worked.

DSC04450.JPG.ade313146aa943d77d7c4673ab0db620.JPG

 

 

Edited by mattblack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after some fiddling about with the carb and the old trick of squirting some fuel straight down the plug hole... WE HAVE LIFE!

 

 

Really satisfying to get it running after who knows how many years... and without spending much :D. Next stage is to tackle the electrical side, I THINK I've sussed out how the governor works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wiring was in a really poor state so was all replaced.

IMG_20190516_192452.jpg.38a0f5647517efed1c9aacc654f3c9d7.jpg

DSC04514.JPG.d2e5a629856eb8a27957e3fde42d9a5f.JPG

 

The brushes and commutator were cleaned up as well and I made this somewhat Heath Robinson flexible coupling as the original was falling to bits. A local engineering suppliers came up with a new fan belt for £3.

DSC04515.JPG.7305b9afcbc75a94db4c13d7e1c0d262.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put everything back together and tried to start it again, but had flooding problems. Despite cleaning the tank out, with no gauze on the tap debris had got into the carb and jammed the float valve open. So I ran some fuel through the pipe and made a filter for the tap.

IMG_20190524_111034.jpg.e616342b16355d5a02938d9042fde7af.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got it running again I connected a volt meter to the dynamo output...

DSC04525.JPG.dd468488b2fa6453bcb1a65aa00b780b.JPG

 

We seem to have some extra volts!

This coil is wired in series with the output and the plate is attached to the throttle and closes it against a spring, the throttle was opening and closing but with the spring detached it wouldn't run at low speed like it did without the dynamo coupled, I'm wondering if the output is controlled by engine speed?

DSC04516.JPG.d2710916b0cab4dde8d46fe9fcde363a.JPG

 

Looking on youtube there is a video of a set like mine running, the guy says it over revved and blew 110v bulbs so he had a 230v worklight (100w?) connected. I replaced the old socket with this one I had in the shed so I can do the same and see what it's like with some load on it.

DSC04526.JPG.34e7d598b2faeb0edc1d00a28c0761e9.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...