CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Kill Switch for Drillgine and other Tools

Did some investigating today in search of a replacement kill switch for one that is broken on one of my O&R tools.  I thought this might be helpful if anyone else is in need of a similar replacement.

The little red push button switch looks to be identical to the Switchcraft 951 from Switchcraft. They have a model “A”, “B”, and “C” and I think it is the “A” version. I have one on order and will confirm once I receive it. 

This photo is of a good working order switch on a Drillgine.

Clint

58982708-B96D-40D4-BC52-C30AB2AB5415.jpeg

Edited by CNew
Auto fill was wrong

It does look similar, 951 is obsolete thanks to ROHS legislation, 951X is the unleaded replacement, 951X (A) has normally open contacts, 952X (B) has normally closed contacts (normally open is the most common type used for O&R's).

Full data-sheets & drawings here;

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=971

Just be aware that the stop (or kill) switches/buttons vary a lot for the different tools, some have toggle switches too, and they usually have one contact directly connected to the casing (ground), I suspect the replacement won't.

For reference, my late production Drillgine has the standard brass strip version (presumably cheaper than adding the extra switch & wiring).

SAM_7474a.jpg.e6f658a177465385bbe5726201e54e14.jpg

David

On 3/27/2019 at 10:59 PM, CNew said:

Did some investigating today in search of a replacement kill switch for one that is broken on one of my O&R tools.

Which O&R tool was the replacement switch for? you never said in the original post.

David

Oh, sorry - I stumbled onto a partial Drillgine the other day on a Craigslist post. It’s not in the greates of condition but I think I can still salvage what’s there for some spare parts.  The switch on it is broken and it made me curious enough to try to hunt down a replacement. I guess I probably don’t really need it but I thought if I could find the right one maybe it would come in handy some day, especially if I accidentally break a switch or find another O&R tool that needs one.  

I’ve also been thinking of maybe installing this type of switch on one of my display engines. This same type of switch is on my Orline Trimmer and it’s incorporated into the side of the blower housing. I kind of like the look and operation of this little switch instead of the little brass strip and I might come up with a way to use it as part of an engine display stand.  Speaking of display stands, I was a able to find a couple nice pieces at the local steel supply store that look like they would make nice semi-decorative bases for displaying these engines.  I’ll have to come up with a mounting bracket.  More fun projects for this Spring.

98F1A7AE-2AC5-4E79-A6B3-FDB61998885B.jpeg

FBA7020E-BB9D-468D-BC33-6B3AF0279757.jpeg

The Switchcraft 951X “A” switch arrived today. Looks almost identical to the original. It has one extra tab so I’ll have to figure out which tab to solder the wire that goes to the threaded post on the back side of the points.

824E20C0-21F8-4F70-8B12-B1B51B8E0493.jpeg

6832C8C9-1276-48DE-AD71-A970451B1CFD.jpeg

22 hours ago, CNew said:

Oh, sorry - I stumbled onto a partial Drillgine the other day on a Craigslist post. It’s not in the greatest of condition but I think I can still salvage what’s there for some spare parts.  The switch on it is broken and it made me curious enough to try to hunt down a replacement.

I’ve also been thinking of maybe installing this type of switch on one of my display engines. This same type of switch is on my Orline Trimmer and it’s incorporated into the side of the blower housing. I kind of like the look and operation of this little switch instead of the little brass strip and I might come up with a way to use it as part of an engine display stand.  Speaking of display stands, I was a able to find a couple nice pieces at the local steel supply store that look like they would make nice semi-decorative bases for displaying these engines.

Thanks for letting us know, looks like the original part no was A-3-3 for the button type switch.

Is you second Drillgine the same type or one of the other variants? I've only got the late AEP engined yellow Drillgine with the steel case.

Looks like you found some nice steel bases for your display stand, I look forward to seeing the completed project.

David

OK it sounds similar to your other one, is there much missing or damaged on it?

6 hours ago, CNew said:

It has one extra tab so I’ll have to figure out which tab to solder the wire that goes to the threaded post on the back side of the points.

The original switch will have one tag directly connected to the threaded part (the engine case is the return connection for it), the new switch has insulation in-between as indicated below.

951X.jpg.a879c4d8f7877910cb9ee0aa415826ed.jpg

You will need to use both of the tags on the new switch, solder an insulated wire to one tag to go to the points, solder a bare wire to the other tag (the one nearest the case would be best) & wrap it around the threaded part of the switch before attaching it to the casing.

Of course if you have a suitable sized tag washer similar to the one in the picture below you could use that instead.

SAM_3408a.jpg.a4584216c8aae2114298a5b4defd18cc.jpg

David

Thank you David - I would not have been able to figure that out on my own, electrical stuff is not my strong suit!  I’m pretty sure I’m tracking with your guidance for the insulated and bare wires with regard to the two tags. When I finally get around to installing one of these new switches I’ll be sure to send a picture before I actually put it on the tool.

Clint

If the switch comes apart, you can just remove that insulation ring which David pointed the green arrow to.

The switch body appears to be isolated from those tabs and by removing that insulation ring you are just connecting the tab to the switch body. The switch body will connect to ground when it's installed on the handle and therefore ground the the wire when the the button is pressed which connects those 2 contacts.

Either way you do it will work fine.

John, 

Another great option. I’ll fiddle with the switch and see if the isolation ring is easy to remove, seems like it would be possible. That would definitely simplify things a bit more.

Clint

1 hour ago, Wallfish said:

If the switch comes apart

If it's anything like this late 60's Switchcraft push switch then you will find that it's pressed together (see arrow) & cannot be taken apart without destroying it.

SAM_3413a.jpg.660987d2b2ca7e02f0994ee5c65fd484.jpg

This is what I meant by wrapping a bare wire around the threaded part of the switch to connect a tag to the switch body (demonstrated with a push switch from my electronics spares & a bit of scrap wire), obviously solder the tag on your switch and don't solder the wrapped part unless you want a melted plunger.

SAM_3412a.jpg.96808b254eef8bab4efdbdebad04a077.jpg

David

David, 

That’s very helpful, thank you for the photo of the wire on the tag!  You e got me curious now, I’ll have to go look at this switch and see if it’s all one piece like the one you show.

Clint

I took a close look at th new switch and it doesn’t look like it comes apart so removing the insulating ring is probably not an option.

Option C;

I had a thought while I was at work, you may be able to swap the plunger.

The spring clip can be carefully removed (hopefully it doesn't end up on a low earth orbit), getting the spring back on is a little trickier, but I've just successfully tried it with that larger Switchcraft push switch I found yesterday.

I would try it on an old one that doesn't matter first.

SAM_3413b.jpg.d77f1025737702fa604a03bed49c05d3.jpg

SAM_3414a.jpg.2831f538b2e9dc4dcdc778fc7dd88d06.jpg

David

P.S. A similar spring clip is used on the O&R engine PTO shaft.

Great idea David. I’ll take a closer look this evening to see how the plunger is attached. I don’t recall seeing a little ring clip but I’ll see if it has one or something similar.

Clint

It is hard to tell if it has the same type of clip from your picture, I took my picture with the switch pressed to make it more obvious how the parts are held together.

David

David,

As usual you are spot-on, there is indeed a small clip holding the plunger in place. Switch plungers might be the easy way for a fix!

Thanks,

Clint

6DA68ED9-C1DB-4162-873E-5C309BA24E8B.jpeg

John,

That’s what I thought at first too but after closer inspection it is basically a very thin crimped metal retainer. It might be possible to gently lift the four little tabs that are folded over and crimped.  I wish I had a couple spares to play with just in case it messes it up. I may scout eBay for some used ones to tinker with.

Clint

Edited by CNew
Typo

I'd just go with David's idea. It only needs to ground the points.

I know those handles are a tight fit so less wires is helpful but not if you got a ruin the switch