CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Carburetor Screen Yes or No?

I’m rebuilding a carburetor and it has the little metal mesh screen. I’ve read on earlier posts that these are prone to clogging. I recall a David posting a service bulletin as well that recommended removing the screen. Before I button this back up - is it the consensus here to just remove the little screen and not worry about it?

Great thanks!  I took it out to clean everything up so I’ll see if I can reattach it and then close it all back up.

On 11/28/2014 at 8:25 PM, factory said:

Original post by Webhead (on the old forum).

"I have a service bulletin in my dealer's manual that notifies all techs to remove the
screen from the carb, on any engines that they worked on. Apparently the screen
getting clogged caused more problems than if there was no screen at all. The later
carbs were completely void of the screen."

On 4/29/2017 at 3:49 PM, factory said:

Some carbs have a second small fuel filter in the bottom half of the carb, I had a similar problem with a Tiger that wouldn't run after being restored the previous year, it had the filter which was clogged preventing fuel getting to the carb.

There was an O&R service bulletin recommending that the carb fuel filter should be removed as it caused too many problems, later carbs don't have the second fuel filter.

SAM_5024a.thumb.jpg.0f9da18fe06391ae29ab985c41cd4732.jpg

I just cleaned the filter on mine, as the tank filter is missing and the in-line filter I bought still lets some dirt through.

I can't see where I posted the actual service bulletin, but I could find the above two mentions of the carb screen filter.

I've left them in place too in any carbs I found them in, I think the above picture shows why they are actually a good idea, they clog to let you know the tank needs a more through cleaning. :poke:

David