CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: What’s so special about this engine?

Curious, I’ve been watching (not bidding) this eBay listing and I’m baffled why this particular engine is in such high demand. I don’t see anything unique about it vs other similar new ones I’ve seen come up for sale and stay well below $200. The ends of the gas tank look a little bit different but everything else seem so pretty standard. Is this an ultra rare model or something? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ohlsson-Rice-1-HP-Motor-Excellent-Condition-Runs-Great/143231081204?hash=item21593cdaf4:g:6sQAAOSwwpVcw7Um

I really don't know, it's been on my watch list too.

Maybe the gearbox is a desirable type for a mini-bike, but the seller hasn't actually mentioned the type (though I can see the engine is a type 203 from the pictures).

There's nothing special about the tank, the ends have been pushed out as someone left fuel in it at some point in the past & it expanded with heat (perhaps the tank lid vent was blocked).

David

Yes, very strange. I can’t believe anyone would pay that amount for just an engine, even if it was mint condition.  When I look at the photos closely it looks like the engine has been cleaned up very nicely and perhaps has low hours of run time but it also looks like someone may have painted it again and added reproduction decals. I’m not convinced it’s “all original”.

Strange things happen, we had a thread about an overpriced Orline chainsaw (that made $500 on ePay) on the old forum.

I agree someone has done some repainting, there is no paint missing where the tank is battered underneath.

And well spotted with the decals, it's missing the 'III' next to 'Compact', I'm a bit confused as to the Sears number at the bottom of the instruction decal, this engine was not used on one as far as I know. :scratchhead:

Edit: To add more confusion I have pictures of another type 203 engine with the same Sears number, the decals on that do look original though, the serial number is very close to the current ePay one too. :dunno:

David

That’s interesting David. The only Sears tool I’ve seen is the chainsaw but those were all white as far as I’ve seen.

Maybe the fact it had (very cheap) international shipping on the listing helped it find more buyers than usual too.

16 hours ago, CNew said:

The only Sears tool I’ve seen is the chainsaw but those were all white as far as I’ve seen. 

Well there isn't a lot of difference between the Type 203 from the recent auction and the Type 213 (used on the Sears chainsaw).

The gear ratios are the same according to the info I have, the only differences I can see are the output drives (203 has the shaft extension & 213 has a chain sprocket) and the type of tank used. Also the brass strip stop switch would be inaccessible on the Sears chainsaw.

Here is the other Type 203 engine with gearbox that I saved pictures of a few years ago, the serial number is 0070662 which is very close to the one that just sold on ePay.

c1.JPG.2e24eb76a8921c63bc7596c2c988dec1.JPGc6.JPG.1fa0b01a6ff12b47b33242fe7026501a.JPG

c11.JPG.7c21aaf44dc396c40e91dcbb3b7a6a6c.JPGc100.JPG.39b9e4bbffcdb390b3940040352e9583.JPG

Decal with mystery 745-350010 reference (which is quoted on the O&R parts list for the Sears Mighty Light). :scratchhead:

c3.JPG.ee5fe7a99354596194808de90c722403.JPG

David

Fascinating - nice detective work David! Amazing the level of info you’re able to access. This is all part of the fun exploring and learning about these things. I’ve seen some parts listed on eBay for the Sears Mighty Light. That decal is indeed perplexing.

If only we could find a Sears catalog with it in, that would probably solve the mystery. I've collected thousands of pictures that can help with researching these engines over the years.

Is the Sears stuff on eBay from the business seller that parts out all kinds of chainsaws?

David