Sign in to follow this  
Cub Cadet

Drive Belt help needed please

Hi all, as it comes closer to the shows I need to revisit the WH RJ58 to make sure its running good. I have had some problems with the drive belt, possibly because of the tight radius' and the fact it is reverse idled, its probably the wrong type of belt also but it has started to split and shred a little. The belt profile/size is SPA732, currently i'm using a half decent dunlop one off the web but what should I be using? kevlar, cotton? and does anyone have a source?

thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Ewan, I suspect that belt (spa732) is only a conventional duty belt. 732 is just under 29 inches.

Being of the ilk that prefers to use OEM in these circumstances, I would suggest treating the machine to what Toro calls a genuine belt.

The original spec is for your RJ is part number 1567. 4L x 29" . They had 3 grades then (extract from Tor manual) -

BELTS.JPG.2e1a7dfe251be5b3bd66ea57c6322829.JPG

Modern  (metricated) European spec Belts are mainly general use types and have tiny dimensional differences.

Quality is probably inconsistent as well. So 60 years later, the only place you'll find a correct belt, is to look West.

Search using  Toro/Wheel Horse 1567 part number and you'll get several choices.

Toro belts have all the modern fabrics etc incorporated and some are cotton wrapped for quiet running. Depends what you are prepared to pay.

Only other option is to go for something like this and see how it behaves-       - A29-.

I'll admit to buying these types for the mower deck and they seem ok,  but haven't had a good try out yet. They have all the qualities you mention.

You can get at least 2 of them for one OEM, so it's your call really.  

Regards

Thanks for your help Richard, when I received the tractor there was nothing of the original drive system so all of the pulleys are new SPA profile ones, not sure if this makes a difference, would a 4L x 29" belt fit ok? If so I may try the 4L x 29" and see if the extra few mm belt length will still work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Performance-Agri-Garden-Mower-V-Belts-With-DuPont-Kevlar-4L-200-700/273112684017?hash=item3f96c8d5f1:m:mFjwMIFlYsiQme1LQc4FTSA

Assume something like this may work better?

Thanks

Ah!, forgot you'd fitted other pulleys. I suspect you had better stick to SPA Section Belts. The Section is different to 'V' (13mm x 8mm) SPA is 13mm x 10mm.

Which means you may have to stick to 732mm. No experience with that type. 

Hi Ewan,

Depending on whether SPA type belts are ok to use with Clutching/Idler pulleys which may be a cause of belt deterioration?,

the SPA 732 belt (732mm) is sold as the INSIDE dimension (28.82 inches).

Wheel Horse belts are/were measured around the Outer circumference, so a 732 will be greater than 29 inches.

Presuming your replacement Pulleys are the same (Pitch) size as originals, and the distance apart is the same, then the belt should be ok.

Snatched this off the Web as an example-

SPA.JPG.60044fc63e47134eb2b771fab890f07c.JPG

Regards