Cub Cadet

Kohler K161 rebuild help

I have started work on my massey Ferguson 7e again and work has turned to the engine. We don't know if it runs and seen as i'm stripping the whole tractor down for a good clean it made sense to inspect the engine also. It was also a good time to make a new sump gasket as it leaked a lot of oil.

IMG_0561.jpg.9b6ca82f6cb0e62919c90c6165452fb9.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg.97e2c48573d993ceb63a64db3d285de7.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg.83f6b8242b1efaeba539459edac5d61d.jpgIMG_0584.jpg.85b9fdacdcaf92b09220761d89f03f9b.jpg

After stripping it down some its apparent that one of the crankshaft bearings is a little bit worn, but after trawling the web i'm struggling to find what size bearings were used, we would normally measure the existing bearings but I haven't stripped it down that far yet. Any help would be appreciated as to where I can source this information. 

Thanks 

Hi Ewan, other options which I would follow is, if you have a parts manual for the engine, do a search online using the part number.

Often, something will show up with an alternative bearing number or dimension (probably stateside) to work to.

Or, post the question on Redsquare, as there must be owners of early 60's machines who have been there and done it :thumbs:.

They should be same size bearing as in K181.

Good luck

5 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

Hi Ewan, other options which I would follow is, if you have a parts manual for the engine, do a search online using the part number.

Often, something will show up with an alternative bearing number or dimension (probably stateside) to work to.

Or, post the question on Redsquare, as there must be owners of early 60's machines who have been there and done it :thumbs:.

They should be same size bearing as in K181.

Good luck

Thanks, i've posted it on Redsquare. I did find someone selling replacements on the auction site and they were listed as 6206c3 bearings but this is metric and both me and my dad thought they would be imperial.

1 minute ago, Cub Cadet said:

Thanks, i've posted it on Redsquare. I did find someone selling replacements on the auction site and they were listed as 6206c3 bearings but this is metric and both me and my dad thought they would be imperial.

Ok, Thats me being a bit slow responding and you being on the same frequency!. Yeah, strange how the occasional metric dimension crops up in U.S. equipment.

The specs in the Kohler Manual for the Crank journals each end are not round imperial fractions in Thous of an inch-

K161.JPG.c1b8347d8e4c5d57dc6a37356d8f394d.JPG 

1.1811" = 30mm.

Regards.

Just now, Triumph66 said:

Did you get the parts from Meetens Ewan? 

No, a US seller was selling the crankshaft bearings on ebay and he had listed the bearing number, with that and Richards help I ordered some off ebay. It was just easier for me, i've heard many good things about Meetens though.