Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

WH Problems.

Ever since I rebuilt my Wheel Horse C-125's engine, I could never get it to run as I'd like it. Idling was the main issue. I've been working on it of and on, but just lately it's been hard to start.

Today I decided to swap the carb for a reconditioned one I got off Richard. (Anglo Traction). Getting it going and warmed up, I played around with the mixture screws, until I got it running something like. Still wouldn't start like it should and I found the spark plug dry. It has a primer bulb fitted BTW and usually three squeezes and away it would go.  I was having to juggle the throttle and choke till it would fire up. I'm going to  try another pump.

I also checked the points gap. That was ok. 18-19 thou.

The starter motor had started sticking as well and seem a tad lazy. That was removed and I found the gears on the Benndix a bit worse for wear. Also the bearing on the Bedix end, has some play. Motor is now on the bench and if/when I can, I'll see if I can rebuild it.

I had a spare starter motor somewhere. Now found and fitted.

After fitting it I tried starting the engine. Usual thing. No change. Juggle! Jiggle! Ay up! What's that spark doing there? Where you ask? Engine end of the P.T.O. operating rod. Best check engine to chassis earth. Broken cable found. Tucked away at the back of the engine, below the starter motor. The eye on one end had broken off. New cable now fitted and also more accessible.

That's as far as I got.  Tomorrow I'll see how things go. If starting is not any better, I'll fit another pump and maybe check valve clearances.

Valves ( both condition and clearance) first; carb and ignition fettling second.  I’ve experienced Kohlers with poor valve sealing only starting with a closed throttle.  In the 80s we had a Kohler on a Howard 350 that was giving us considerable grief and on the suggestion from  Meetens the points gap was closed a couple of thou from the then manual recommendation of 20thou.  - end of problem.

Thanks for that Chris. :thumbs: 

Well the valve clearances were ok.  Also after lifting the head, I could see on inspection of the valve  seats and valve heads, all was ok there. No sign of burn or damage.

With the carb' being removed to check the valve clearances, I spun the engine to see how the fuel pump performed. A good spurt of fuel shot out at each revolution. So that was ok.

Nailed everything back together and tried starting. Engine eventually fired up but was surging. Though on low rev's was smoother. Bit of trying different positions of the governor spring and then it hit me. Earlier I'd checked the governor arm position on the spindle.

Guess what? When setting it yesterday, I'd turned the spindle the wrong way.  Clockwise instead of anticlockwise. :banghead:

Rectified that and the surging decreased. Well it would' wouldn't it!  Played around with the mixture settings, till eventually I was more or less happyish with things.

Had a run around and all seemed well. Tomorrow I'll see how it starts again.

I still think the original trouble was the original carb. My boo! boo! with the governor didn't help things. But as my father used to say, "The man who never made a mistake, never made anything".