factory

Bowden cable/conduit for O&R carb throttle cable.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:01 PM, CNew said:

David,

I don’t plan to modify this cable. I’m open to recommendations on a source for cable this size.  I’ve contacted probably a dozen specialty cable suppliers and they’ve all said there isn’t anything this small. I’ve looked at Bowden cables, bicycle cables, aircraft instrument cables, vintage automotive heater and vent control cables, clutch, brake, push-pull, latch release and other similar cables.  The closest I’ve found so far is a very specific brand of vintage wiper motor cable that Looks to be very close to the right size but the inner core cable is solid wire and not the typical braided wire used in most of the O&R cables.  Do you know of a source?

On 4/5/2020 at 6:10 PM, Wallfish said:

If there is could you please point us to it?

And if there is or not, I'm not so sure there's much value in keeping it whole (other than sentimental) or even close to as much as repairing 4-5 other tools with the correct conduit :dunno:

I thought a new thread would be a good idea for looking to source new Bowden cable/conduit tubing for the O&R throttle cables.

I have a long NOS conduit here (the inner wire is a separate part) which I've measured today, with the plastic sleeving on it measures approx 0.145" to 0.15" (depending where you measure) and the steel core measures 0.125". The separate inner wire measures approx 0.047", this may vary slightly too. I noticed the plastic coating is removed where it enters the carb on my mini-bike.

Here is a thread on another forum (which was one of the first search results I found the other night), there are a few different suppliers mentioned that have different types of Bowden cable.

https://forums.stanwinstonschool.com/discussion/4182/extra-fine-bowden-cable

One of the links has some conduit tubing that might be suitable, the second one in the list could be suitable with the plastic removed (OD is 0.153" with plastic coating), maybe email them to confirm.

https://bergencable.com/_media/products/control_cables/pdfs/conduit.pdf

David

Pretty sure that cable from Bergen would work but they have a minimum order of $150.00. Not sure I could ever use that much unless I go into production but will need quite a bit just to do a repop Micro mini bike.

Ouch, yeah that’s a bit much. I wonder if they would send you a couple inches of it just to verify fit.

A couple of those mini bikes I’ve seen online look like they use more standard sized throttle and brake cables from a mini bike.

58 minutes ago, factory said:

What did you end up using for the Bowden conduit?

After a lot of hunting I found a piece of old vintage cable cover on ePay that was actually the right size. A little rusty but that cleaned up pretty easily, just some surface oxidation. I wish the seller had more of it but at least it was enough to complete the saw.