Rayp

Hayter 21 Choke Spring

Can anyone help please by telling me where the Choke Spring attaches on the Briggs & Stratton 5HP engine.  It has become detached as can be seen in the photos, but is still attached at the other end and does not appear to be broken.  It may seem a simple question but after spending some time trying to find the location, it is still not apparent where it connects..

P1010799.JPG

P1010800.JPG

Thankyou both for your responses.  I will post the Model Type and Code numbers after Monday when my Internet is due to be restored.  I am using someonelse's Internet at the moment and do not have access to these details.

Hi again Wristpin.    My Internet is now back up and running and the details are 130902 0226-01 75091910. It would be much appreciated if you are able to post an image. 

Hi Ray,

Hope all is well. I can offer a suggestion in advance of Wristpin's more experienced answer. The 130902 version has a vertical Pulse-jet carb fitted, so I now understand the orientation of your picture after checking the Workshop Manual.

I suspect the spring has jumped off it's seat of the nylon cam lever which operates the choke.

It needs to be repositioned around the back by the plate and tab in the picture below in the direction denoted by the blue arrow and it needs to pass below/behind the tab by the arrowhead to where there is a recess or lip on the nylon lever for the spring to catch on.

I can now see it in both of your pics and looks to have been disengaged for some time, judging by the debris in the recess-

7C0FAAE7-19CE-4E49-B86B-822F433F548E_1_201_a.jpeg.6005e9d913749123124d4c69aa991f24.jpeg 

I may be wrong. but the top of the spring end looks to have been bent upwards (in your first pic). I suspect it should be a 90 degrees and should lay horizontlal.

Regards.

Hi Richard,

I'm fine and hope you are keeping well. Thank you for your post, armed with which I will revisit the Choke.  I think you may well be right that the spring has been in the wrong position for some time and is probably bent so I intend to replace it with a new one.  I couldn't figure out how to remove the old spring and discovered by trial and error that the lever pulls out of the 'choke butterfly' enabling the spring to be removed, but it will be fiddly to put it back whilst keeping the spring under tension.

Regards