CNew

Ohlsson & Rice: Gear Box Ratios

What is the gearbox ratio and rpm for a typical O&R chainsaw? What would be the best model to use to reach between 3000-4000 rpm?

Engine Type 185 is one used some Orline chainsaws, but it's only 1700rpm.

There are engine with gearboxes for 3300rpm, Type 181, 194 (CW), 200 (CW) and 201 (CCW) are some.

David

Note: engine Type 181 mentioned yesterday is the Chicken Power engine and the PTO sticks out the opposite side of the gearbox. Type 201 is also the same.

David

I'm glad someone asked for the Type of that Polaris snowblower engine, I see the seller has added the picture showing the Type 135, unfortunately it's not what you want as it has the double reduction gearbox, not confirmed but probably 900 rpm (same goes for the Type 144 I have on my Polaris power head).

David

I know this is dumb but if I use a throttle trigger could I maybe go with a drive shaft directly on an engine without needing a gear box?

Happy Thanksgiving to All!

It would be helpful to know what the plan for it is first.

A screw can go in the hole where a throttle cable goes through and be used to adjust high RPM. Screw it in to slow it down to a constant speed

21 hours ago, CNew said:

Sorry, haven’t thought about this lately. Got Covid so it knocked me out for a couple weeks. 

Hope you're feeling better

On 12/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, Wallfish said:

Hope you're feeling better

Slowly improving, it was a break-through case and I’m hoping I don’t have that “long COVID” mess. It’s been 2 weeks now and I’m still not back to normal.