Wallfish

Tiny Tiger model 400 rebuild

This unit was cleaned up before but never completely disassembled and gone through. Now super glad I did which I'll share later.

It wasn't easy to figure out how to remove the gen head and by the appearance of those slotted screws on the sides of it , neither could the last guy! Those slotted screws hold the magnets to the case.

These gen head parts are unlike the 300 or 350 models where the magnet spins and the coils are stationary. The 400 spins the coils and the magnets are stationary so it utilizes carbon brushes and a commutator like a regular brush motor. Finally figured out how to separate the parts. So --- the cap on the rear cover below the plug outlet needs to be removed (easier said than done) in order to access the screw head retaining it. It's a taper fit to the shaft just like the flywheel so loosen the screw slightly and tap the head of it with a hammer to break the taper bond.

IMG_0501.jpg.5a403c7ca87e1cd7e24e00e6dcf5526a.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg.6e66b95f6ec67b6cb83cb0d657539e2e.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg.7360ad0fd635e662a0036bbedf80abbc.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg.9964525443d22e82dcff2d7b67b98e78.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg.b2eeeb19be21dada8b58a1df8a0fddb7.jpg

Upon opening the engine I saw this. A strange valve setup so I stared at it a bit confused as I can't recall ever seeing this before and was also questioning my memory.

IMG_0510.jpg.b0f4f74b557b225427b99d5fb5ecb273.jpg

Well, as it turns out it's one of those rare and coveted Octura made valves.

Strange that it would be on a TT 400 but maybe they ordered them for manufacturing these???? Maybe David @factory might have some insight on this. Unfortunately there's no model number stamped into it and the air baffle is a clean one so obviously changed.

IMG_0509.jpg.7494927cd7cb01b9b79b3986f1bc9c0b.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg.c65bbd59d4bca00d655b54a89790dfa1.jpg

IMG_0508(1).jpg.0eded39a5ee9d132dc029e11745b7b56.jpg

15 minutes ago, CNew said:

That’s really cool that you have the Octura valve! I’ve never seen one of those before.

Me either. Let me know if you want any more pics.

You can see in the pics it was leaking but there wasn't a small paper ring gasket installed to seal it to the case

I have a few Octura built water cooled head engines. Haven't been through them all yet but I'm gonna look now. I'm thinking this valve better belongs in one of those instead of a generator.

On 1/27/2024 at 8:10 PM, Wallfish said:

Upon opening the engine I saw this. A strange valve setup so I stared at it a bit confused as I can't recall ever seeing this before and was also questioning my memory.

Well, as it turns out it's one of those rare and coveted Octura made valves.

Strange that it would be on a TT 400 but maybe they ordered them for manufacturing these???? Maybe David @factory might have some insight on this. Unfortunately there's no model number stamped into it and the air baffle is a clean one so obviously changed.

That looks to be a replacement engine, the TT400 here has a Type 112, the wear & corrosion on this engine match the rest of it, the original list would confirm it. These earlier engines are the ones with the nylon bearings, it's possible the original engine self destructed in some way, or was too challenging for the last person to fix.

Nice to finally see what the Octura rotary valve looks like.

David

19 hours ago, factory said:

That looks to be a replacement engine, the TT400 here has a Type 112, the wear & corrosion on this engine match the rest of it, the original list would confirm it. These earlier engines are the ones with the nylon bearings, it's possible the original engine self destructed in some way, or was too challenging for the last person to fix.

Nice to finally see what the Octura rotary valve looks like.

David

Thanks

That's kinda what I figured so one the earlier rebuilt engines is being used for the TT 400. That Octura valve engine will go with the White Heat engine set up I have. Unfortunately I don't have the boat hull (YET) but have all of the mechanical stuff like the exhaust and out drive.

Got the bases done for both TTs. The 400 had a steel base so I just used that gun blue stuff to cover it.

Made the 300 base out of aluminum sheet that I have. It's from a TD bank ATM cover so it's painted green and that paint is tough to get off so it's just going to stay for now and maybe get painted with some silver hammer tone when it gets warmer out.

IMG_0576.jpg.8086b16c8c6f689f9170fe4a92b1417f.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg.eb53066c391280e6466651a199b427d0.jpg

And here's the White Heat engine. Probably swap that Octura valve into a water cooled head engine. I have converted glow plug engines bot air and water cooled but not sure what exactly was used for the boats.

IMG_0575.jpg.bfaf011ebbc17187da2263595626bd2f.jpg

1 hour ago, CNew said:

Bases turned out really nice!  The green one almost looks laser cut.

Thanks!

Cut close with the portable band saw held in a vice then used the bench grinder a little bit.  Finish with a hand file to smooth and tweak the rounds. Didn't realize I was out of fine paper for the disk sander or it would've been much easier.