stepside64ford

c160 8sp won't move

Hi, i have aquired a c160 8speed and the thing won't move. The woodruff keys are ok, new Trans pully new belt. And still nothing. Hi and low range does same thing, doesn't matter which gear you are in. Thanks for any input!

Welcome to MoM!

sounds like either the woodruff key on the input is sheared/missing. Or the high low selector could be broken.

Does the tractor push freely or can you feel the gears turning?

Hi and welcome. I also suggest you rule out the easy checks first. You say Woodruffs are ok, which ones have you checked?. 

You only need one of the Keys sheared on the Axles/Hubs to prevent motion.

Check to see if the Brake Drum is rotating when running to rule out a few more Keys in the Tranny?. 

Are you getting a positive action on the Gear Lever when you select 1st- 3rd, or reverse?. 

Not sure if your familiar with these, but undo the Locknut and the Dog Screw (when in Neutral) that retains the Gear Lever (see pic), remove the lever to check it is ok and engages with the selector forks inside. 

post-94-0-87881200-1416243069_thumb.jpg

If all these are ok, the issue is more likely to be internal. 

Hi Stepside, welcome to MOM it's good to have you aboard..

I'd guess the input pulley is missing it's key, they do have a habit of popping out the shaft when the pulley get slid on as I found out on my Wh 312-8 this year :D

Have you checked out our sister forum RedSquare? http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php  A good bunch of guys and girls and enough Wh's to drown in :lol: