Wallfish

Set of Comet tools

Joe posted a display pic of the 4 Comet Tote'N Tools a while back so I put mine together for a similar pic. The drill is the same but tagged as Drillgine instead of Tote'N Tools.
I've been debating on whether or not to cut a coil cover to fit the chainsaw. Maybe when it's painted I'll decide.

post-9-0-54557700-1416524476_thumb.png

post-9-0-47817600-1416524491.png

Heya, John--They look great!  If you are thinking of making a coil cover, you might design one that is a bit smaller and covers the coil just right.  Maybe black--I don't know what material you might use--a buddy R/C modeler would make a plug and a fiberglass cover for it.  Then you could make them and sell them. Gotta research the boltdown locations tho.  Lots of model paint colors to choose from. I'll be watching!

Edited by Laserscottman

Glad you made it here!

I do have a spare cover like you can see on the water pump. Just hate to cut it. The manufacturer cut the bottom off to mount them on the chainsaws since the tilt of the engine does not leave enough room for it.

The saw has been done for a while but I'm still undecided about cutting a cover to fit. I do like the finished look of the covers but doesn't look too bad without it. Here's a blow up pic of the chainsaw cover

post-9-0-78910000-1416574237.jpg

What do you all think a fair price would be on a Comet chainsaw in good condition? I found one that looks to be a complete unit and in pretty nice shape but the price seems a bit high. I’m guessing these are pretty rare so maybe it’s not out of the the question but I thought I’d get some other opinions before I attempt to go any further on it.

thanks,

clint

I haven't seen one advertised for some time so can't help with the value (then again I don't have time the search through all chainsaw listings to find them), also I can't really comment on how complete it is without seeing it.

Usually the non-Orline chainsaws go for more $ as many more people collect chainsaws, but they are no where as costly as the minibikes, which are by far the most expensive O&R powered item these days.

David

Thank you David. It looks complete but I haven’t seen it in person yet and can’t tell anything about engine condition. Owner is firm at $400.

It's likely to be fitted with an early engine, so expect it to have the plastic bearing races, not sure about the gearbox as it's not a standard O&R one (early O&R ones had die-cast gears).

Here are some pictures of the gearbox used on the Comet chainsaw (permanently borrowed from ePay);

z2a.jpg.4fd67a46d25f0341b54db75206932912.jpgz4a.jpg.c63ab9afc97f425b5ecd828dc4653da8.jpg

David

David,

This is great info. I have to say as amazing as it would be to have this saw I’m really struggling to justify the $400. I wouldn’t really be putting it to any hard use but those old plastic races make me a bit nervous, especially since I never see NOS parts for these come up.

Clint

Been looking through saved pictures and found one showing the parts list, unfortunately the clutch drum with gear & output gear have O&R part numbers, so they could be the die cast ones.

I've also noticed one of my engines has the type of pulley for the belt drive used on the Comet Circular Saw, so could have possibly been a NOS replacement for one.

k4a.jpg.5b03428fda1d45b05d7dc326e1a4e7c6.jpg

I've also noticed there are at least three slightly different versions of the Comet Circular Saw.

David

It’s incredible how much knowledge and information you have!  I might make the drive out to check out the saw in person and give it a good looking over. I don’t know how quickly it might sell, I’m guessing a chainsaw collector will snatch it up. Maybe after I can see it up close then I can make a more informed decision. The pictures they have posted shows in pretty well.

A very nice one sold recently on ePay for $400. I have an NOS one stashed around here somewhere, along with an NOS circular saw in it's metal case.

Webhead,

Thank you, that’s good insight, at least I know they’re not way off on their asking price.  

The Circular saw would be really awesome!  I can’t believe you have a NOS chainsaw and circular saw, very nice!

Clint

Unfortunately I've been out of the O&R game for a while but not very many of those saws come up for sale. Although I have seen them for sale every once in a while. If it's complete and in good condition and you really want it, $400 isn't too crazy but patience could find one cheaper.  $0.02