Timm

O & R outboards

Just for comparison here are two outboards.

The older one, red, has a two bladed prop and a smaller tank that will run about 30 minutes.

The newer one has a three bladed prop. Haven't been able to get a continuous run on it.

Both move a 15 ft canoe at about 5 mph

post-327-0-83310800-1417964381.jpg

post-327-0-06301600-1417964409.jpg

I noticed on the 3 blade prop outboard I have, the exhaust is released right in front of the prop. Not sure why they did that since it would seem to cause cavitation.

The other 2 outboards pipe the exhaust behind the prop which makes more sense.

One problem I have had with both engines is in the correct governor position. Also, the twist throttle can be set wrong and jamb the carb butterfly valve wide open. At the time I took those pictures I only had one governor blade and had to switch back and forth. Not good. I've since got more parts and need to make a second effort with that plastic one.

Yes, the exhaust position puzzles me as well. The newer three blade is that hole in front of the prop. The older one has holes in the sides of the exhaust pipe.

post-327-0-23641900-1417978063.jpg

post-327-0-53462600-1417978076.jpg

Never saw a drilled hole exhaust before.

For the throttle, there should be a clip which holds the conduit in place. It is placed between the carb body and the conduit and centered between the 2 tabs which the conduit runs through. I'll see if I can get you a pic if yours is missing. The clip can be used to hold it in the correct position so it doesn't stick wide open. The cable needs to be straight and adjusted so it doesn't allow that to happen.

Yeah, some can be a real PITA and even more difficult without that clip. Having throttle control also makes the carb adjusting more difficult compared to just running at full speed.

The canoe, loaded. In choppy water twisting to mount a heavy outboard is delicate. Seldom have a portage/launch point that allows mounting the motor on dry land.

post-327-0-89412600-1418014955.jpg

Very nice, Timm-- I wish I could mount my outboard on a canoe just to see it run. I don't think I ever will though, sad to say, since any canoe I might be able to borrow would still require an attaching point like you have. And, I haven't run it much, so I don't know how well it would get me "across the lake" or wherever. I do think it would really be fun though.  Enjoy!