S1g

I hate ebay!!!

Does anyone else?

I've just"sold" my howard 300 on there, and the winning bidders just left me an answer phone message saying that he thought the line sold strictly as a non runner meant it was a runner?!?! It's not the first time this has happened on there either. Perhaps I should go back to school and take English again because I'm buggered if I can think of any other way to describe it! Any other thoughts where I can sell some of my machines as I'm getting desperate for space.

I think we have all had similar experienced, Tom and I were sharing ebay tales the other day and it would seem some buyers are just not very clever. Gumtree does not put your advert in front of as many people but it does seem to provide more serious buyers.

Iain

I can only echo what Iain said. I use eBay a lot to buy and to sell and have had quite a few people not bother contacting me or make stupid excuses. On the other hand, I have met some good people and also found contacts who have helped me out again after deals or vice versa. There are pros and cons but it has definitely gone down hill with regards to some of the users and also the fees you have to pay.

Tom

Unfortunately it has become a necessary evil but I think that they need to put better quality staff on their dispute resolution team i.e. ones with an understanding of plain English and at least a couple of brain cells.

I bought a machine that was described as " just had a full service" . No way had it been serviced as the images that I supplied showed and as someone who had bought, sold and serviced similar machines for 40 years I was able to give a detailed list of its shortcomings.

The nearest they offered to "resolution" was for me to return it for a refund at MY EXPENSE !

I have a sold a few bits and bobs on eBay over the years but the one thing that stuck in my mind was when I was selling a 5 foot long trailer which had very little use and was in full working order. The 'buyer' contacted me saying he was interested and could I meet him in Exeter at one of the services with the trailer as he live in Axminster. I replied that I only live 10 minutes from Exeter but I reluctantly agreed I would meet him with the trailer for the full asking price. I said I would meet him at 10 the following morning, a Sunday at the service station. He replied it was too early, could I not meet him at 2 and at B&Q? At this point I terminated the meet. What a waste of my time. However, that evening, a guy from Cornwall contacted me and asked if it's still available and I said yes. He said great could he pick it up at 8 the following morning? I said yes but I was really expecting him to turn up on time or even turn up. At 8 the following morning, he was there with a wad of cash. There are decent people out there but there are a lot of time wasters too.

I have a sold a few bits and bobs on eBay over the years but the one thing that stuck in my mind was when I was selling a 5 foot long trailer which had very little use and was in full working order. The 'buyer' contacted me saying he was interested and could I meet him in Exeter at one of the services with the trailer as he live in Axminster. I replied that I only live 10 minutes from Exeter but I reluctantly agreed I would meet him with the trailer for the full asking price. I said I would meet him at 10 the following morning, a Sunday at the service station. He replied it was too early, could I not meet him at 2 and at B&Q? At this point I terminated the meet. What a waste of my time. However, that evening, a guy from Cornwall contacted me and asked if it's still available and I said yes. He said great could he pick it up at 8 the following morning? I said yes but I was really expecting him to turn up on time or even turn up. At 8 the following morning, he was there with a wad of cash. There are decent people out there but there are a lot of time wasters too.

I have in the past had some good deals, however 9 times out 10 these days you seem to get messed about. One thing that really doesn't help is ebay has the assumption that the buyer is allways right, at least that's how it seems, plus their fees are starting to get extortionate. In the past I've had people buy a car with chasis leg ripped off in an accident recokoning they were going to drive it home, and I've also put at the top of the listing in big red letters that under no circumstances could I pack the item for a courier, and what happened, yes you've guessed it. My days of selling on there are over.

The biggest problem with eBay is that the crooks have found out that eBay is their friend, not yours. eBay does not really care if the seller is selling fraudulent items as long as they get a cut and if need be they will pull money from sly sellers account as a form of tribute to doing business on eBay, but they rarely kick a bad seller off. It is virtually impossible to give bad feedback to a "power" seller or one that does a certain level of sales. I just leave positive feed back in the form of  "worst seller on ebay-crook". Ebay favors the seller always, but will refund the buyer if it needs to, out of the sellers account. However many times the seller wants the buyer to pay for return shipping, In other words, pay to get his money back, eBay gets a cut of the shipping too. I've done okay, but I've had to "school" eBay and a few sellers.