slf-uk

Red Bolens!

A tidy red Bolens 1253 non runner with a few bits missing turned up on the usual auction site. A number of people on this site asked me about it (you know who you are :) ) and I passed on some advice fully expecting them to bid for it. In the end they decided not to so I hit the button and won it.

I collected it last night from Suffolk and it turned out to be the same person I bought a Bolens G10 from a few years ago. They promised me that they had no more hiding away. While I was waiting at a level crossing in the middle of Stowmarket for the London to Norwich train to pass I took a picture of it smiling at me.

post-276-0-84161000-1435420395_thumb.jpg

Today I unloaded it from the trailer. I usually use my tri-axle Ifor Williams trailer for tractor collections but this time I thought I would try something different, a Ifor TT85 tipper. I thought I was going to get a nosebleed being up that high. It was not as easy to load and I resisted the easy unload button :) . This picture was taken as we were about to unload this morning with my assistant already climbing all over the tractor.

post-276-0-38991400-1435420644_thumb.jpg

We pushed it into the workshop, did some work on the electrics, fuel system, fitted a new drive pin in the axle and drove it out. My test driver doing the first run, well actually all the driving :(

post-276-0-66677500-1435420709_thumb.jpg

This red Bolens jumped ahead of all the others waiting for a bit of workshop time but my lad loves it, which I think is down to the colour. He said it looked a bit like a Wheelhorse, only better :yankchain:

The rear tyres on this tractor are nearly completely worn out. I have never seen that before although I did find the diff. lock seized on so that could explain it.

Iain

Nice looking Bolens Iain! Glad you got it running and driving. Are you sure they haven't got anymore hiding away or have you cleared them out now? :D

Tom

Alan, absolutely need another red one, one is never enough :)

Clearly white was not a good colour for many Bolens owners. I think that people loved the features that come standard on a Bolens but not the colour. In addition to the red one, I have two that have been painted yellow, a black one and four blue ones. In my mind that means I need at least another red one and another black one too.

Tom, I did ask him twice and he did say no more :( .

Iain

As you now have a red Bolens Iain, I take it you won't want the other one. :yankchain::hide::sorry:

Alan, my sentiments too!

Iain, glad to see it up and running and being used by your assistant. A good find and It looks a tidy example. Will you be getting it back to the right colour at some point? Also what are the subtle differences between the 1253 and 1254?

Also that Ifor Williams trailer have piqued my interests too.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, it will stay red for the moment as my assistant loves the colour.

I did think that a 1253 was only made for one year (1970) and had a Tecumseh engine and a 1254 had a Wisconsin engine, but it is not that easy as I have a 1254-06 which also has a Tecumseh engine. Very confusing, I will need to look at Dr Bolens's article and then do some research. The Tecumseh in the red 1253 does not have a serial number in the easy to identify format so I may not be able to date it from the engine.

Really want the other red Bolens at John's as it is a 1054 and I don't have a running 1054.

I decided to put the red Bolens to work today but when I went to start it the starter stuck. After a bit of investigation I found that all the bolts were loose on the engine, not just the starter  :o and it had a homemade fuel tank holder. After raiding the parts shed and attacking it with a 1/2" spanner everything was back to how it should have been and ready for use.

The PO said he paid a local engineer to go over the wiring. Very interesting as all the additions to the wiring are in household flex. It may be easier to throw a new wiring harness into it.

Iain

Nice looking tractor even if it's the wrong color.  At least it wasn't rusting away :D :D :D

I've seen the Bolens tractors painted in just about every color of the rainbow.  Seems like the styling lends itself to that.

As for your 1254-06 with a Tec engine in it, I'm thinking that it's had a transplant.

According to my info, the all of the 1254 production runs had the Wisconsin TRA-12D engine but there was a different Spec. number for the later ones.

The -01 through the -04 had a Spec. number of 335600, whilst the -05 and -06 had a Spec. number of 357448.

I have no clue as what the difference(s) between the two Spec. numbers may have been.

I'll also note that the same thing applied to the 1256.  The -01 through -04 used the earlier engine whilst the -06 and -07 used the latter.

What's even more interesting is that I can find no reference to a -05  production run of the 1256 in ANY of the lists that I have. :confused:

Thanks Dave. The 1254 with the Tecumseh is in storage at the moment but I am now itching to have a very close look.

A while back you and Alain provided some really helpful advice on dating Tecumseh and Wisconsin engines but the engine in the red 1253 is not in that format, how easy is it to date a Bolens from the tractor serial number? I am assuming that the 1253 is a 1970 but it would be good to verify and try dating some of my other Bolens, where I do not have the engine serial number or where I am unsure if it has had an engine swap.

Thanks

Iain

I just checked the Tractor data list and the 1253 was produced for one year only in '73 as confirmed by OB and yourself Iain.

I got to say it looks very solid that example and your young assistant is right to like the colour; a good buy I would have thought.. There was a 1253 brochure on the bay last night. No doubt it will be listed again. Be interested in ascertaining the engine details at some point.

From memory, in order to identify the engine year from the serial number it needs to be in the format of 4 numbers and a letter. This one has only got the four numbers however taking just the 4 numbers it would suggest that it was made on the 084th day of 1970

post-276-0-74116700-1435600573_thumb.jpg

This is the Bolens tag

post-276-0-93606000-1435600526_thumb.jpg

It's always fascinating to get the data interpreted to firm the history of a vehicle. It all add to the history file. I wonder how many 1253s were produced and still in existence.