HeadExam

The Cursed Ivy

Are these poisonous plants available in the UK as well. We have Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, and worst of all Poison Sumac. I recently had an encounter with the latter, fortunately none on the face or privates, but it has gotten to the point that between the small continuous blisters all over my arms, armpits to fingertips, I also have blisters the size of a pence that oozes a yellow solidified material the consistency of chicken fat. BTW it has gotten much worse today, I'll forego the new pictures as I am only looking straight ahead. Weekends are a bad time to go to the doctor around here, many health professional that work weekends are also in community service, drug counseling, and methadone during the week.

post-384-0-31266600-1438477317_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-74533500-1438477324_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-71750100-1438477330_thumb.jpg

Yes Poisonous Ivy does grow here in the UK, particularly in the milder parts of the UK. In fact I knew of a couple of gardeners locally who pruned some ivy off the house wall without wearing protective clothing or gloves. They were off work for several days due to the blisters..... When the National Trust took over the ownership at Greenway back in 2000, the ivy was taken off and destroyed. Nasty stuff.

Hope the blisters goes down soon Alain.

Yes Poisonous Ivy does grow here in the UK, particularly in the milder parts of the UK. In fact I knew of a couple of gardeners locally who pruned some ivy off the house wall without wearing protective clothing or gloves. They were off work for several days due to the blisters..... When the National Trust took over the ownership at Greenway back in 2000, the ivy was taken off and destroyed. Nasty stuff.

Hope the blisters goes down soon Alain.

Thanks Andrew, I believe it is starting to subside somewhat, at least it isn't getting worse today. I believe this was Poison Sumac, not Ivy. I never even thought of it bothering me since I took the anecdote 40 years ago and hadn't gotten it till the other day. I guess it has worn off.

That's awful. Think that I first heard of poison Ivy in the song about a child at camp the went Hello Mother , Hello Father!

However I didn't know that we had anything similar in the UK

However we do have Giant Hogweed about which there's a lot in the press at present there was quite a plantation of it near here and apparently it affects some people badly and leaves them with photosensitive skin for several years after the initial contact.

That's awful. Think that I first heard of poison Ivy in the song about a child at camp the went Hello Mother , Hello Father!

However I didn't know that we had anything similar in the UK

However we do have Giant Hogweed about which there's a lot in the press at present there was quite a plantation of it near here and apparently it affects some people badly and leaves them with photosensitive skin for several years after the initial contact.

At least it has a ferocious name. Many medications make one susceptible to sunburn, including some blood pressure meds and mood altering meds, they don't do enough to point this out especially for children with ADHD taking meds and going outside.

Hello mother, hello father,

Here I am at Camp Grenada.

Camp is very entertaining,

And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining!

I went hiking with Joyce Fivey,

He developed poison ivy.

You remember Lennard Skynard,

He got tomain poisoning last night after dinner!

All the counselors hate the waiters,

And the lake has alligators!

And the head coach wants no sissies,

So he reads to us from something called 'Ulysses'.

No, I don't want (this should scare ya),

But my bunkmate has malaria!

You remember Geoffrey Hardy,

They're about to organize a searching party!

Take me home, oh mother, father.

Take me home, I hate Grenada.

Don't leave me out in the forest,

Where I might get eaten by a bear!

Take me home, I promise that I will not make noise, 

Or mess the house with other boys. 

Oh please don't make me stay;

I've been here one whole day!

Dearest father, darling mother,

How's my precious little brother?

Let me come home if you miss me;

I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me!

Wait a minute; it stopped hailing.

Guys are swimming, guys are sailing.

Playing baseball; gee that's better.

Mother, father, kindly disregard this letter!

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/spikejoneslyrics/hellomotherhellofatherlyrics.html