Charlie Smith

Kohler starter motor bendix?

I call it the bendix? However I could be wrong with the name, either way I need one :lol:

Does any body have one they are willing to sell? It's off a kohler K181 the bendix has 16 teeth? I have a spare tecumseh one and a briggs but they are the wrong type and size. :(

Some of you experts may know what other model kohler bendix will fit etc,

I'll let the pictures do the explaining as to why I need a new one :lol:

post-131-0-40265200-1440801014_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-17001700-1440801067_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-07090600-1440801132_thumb.jpgpost-131-0-76301500-1440801217_thumb.jpg

16 tooth? I can't seem to find any?  There is plenty of 9 and 13 tooth. looking online at american websites all of them say out of stock discontinued.

I was lead to believe and told If a 16 tooth bendix came off a 16 tooth must go back on?  

Call Mike Hitchins

aka Guy Parts & Service

Sure he can help :)

Cheers Chris! :)

Just checked the part numbers for a Kohler 8hp supplied to Wheel Horse in the early 70s.

The old Starter Motor Bendix drive (16 tooth) part number was 236535-s and discontinued.

The 'Low Mount' Starter Motor unit (A232981-S) is also discontinued, but has a revised/replaced part number of 41-098-03 (for the whole starter).

I would be impressed if you can obtain a N.O.S Kohler Bendix Drive Kit on it's own, and if you do, it will cost about the same as the cheapest Starter Motor you can import.

If it were me, I would replace the whole thing with a new one.

I would also,, and I'm sure you have,  check to see why the teeth had suffered so badly, like loose mount or worn bearing.

I would also check with Simon Smith or Tim Ayliffe at D.W. Ayliffe in Oxted to see if they may have an old useable one?. They can also order Kohler parts for you-

.http://dwayliffe-gardenequipment.co.uk/

Thank you for the knowledgeable reply Richard. :)

I had a feeling thats the way I was going to have to go. (New starter) I am waiting to hear back from a few people that have odds and spares of all sorts. I shall also try Simon and Tim if not. I'll opt for a new starter.