S1g

My new toy.

I've been looking for a diesel automatic for quite some time due to no cartalidge in my left knee.As you may be aware good diesel ones aren't common unless you've a small fortune to spend. When I was a teeenager I allways loved my cavillers, and always wanted an sri but due to insurance had to settle for bog std 1600.

This morning I've just purchased this wolf in sheeps clothing in the shape of a v6 3.0 turbo diesel automatic vectra sri.(didn't know they did such a beast) It's the first car I've ever had that genuinely throws you back in your seat if hit the throttle yet the insurance is only group 12. Should do in the late 30's mpg and drives way better than clarkson ever claimed.

Let's just hope it's not an expensive mistake. Can't be any worse than my horrible focus. Can't wait to collect it in the week.

post-104-0-24273900-1441449189.jpg

post-104-0-94053100-1441449276.jpg

post-104-0-06439900-1441449291.jpg

That's nice Gareth :thumbs:

Thanks Paul, I had been looking at the 1.9 vectra's and I know that from a cost point of view the smaller engine would be the better buy, (tax, insurance,mpg and maintenance all quite a bit lower)however having had a test drive down the m4 all I can say is OMG! to hell with cost and lets start having some fun again. It hit the legal speed limit within seconds ( honestly I didn't go any quicker officer,lol).I've had to put up with the focus for 3 years and almost never driven it in all that time because I dislike it so much. Plus the amount of issues it's had I don't trust it-even if I was given a new ford I wouldn't accept it.

This was quite a big cheaper to buy than the smaller engine vectra's due to people being frightened by the potential running costs.

I know where you are coming from, think big sometimes... I bet that does not hang about !! :thumbs:

Not that I've tried (haha) but triple figures are only about 2800rpm.

So is it in line for some trailer hauling duty then ??

Would make a great towcar

May be but I've got the restricted towing licence. If it's all ok after a month I'll probably fit a towbar and maybe get rid of my skoda fun to save on tax and insurance.

Apparently this car has won towcar of the year by one of the big caravan clubs so should be up to the job of a combined 750kilo load. The problem is I may keep forgetting its behind!

Saves on tyre wear on the trailer !!  :D

But I'd keep having to go back for everything that flew off the trailer. Just googled it, apparently it's good for 143mph.

Just had a look on how many left and apparently there's only 36 of these autos in the country. Should make getting parts tricky...and expensive.

Some time back, Vauxhall advertised the Vectra as the car with a thousand improvements. The joke of the day was that it must have been a bad car to start with.

Having said that, I did work with a chap who had one and he swore by it.

Some time back, Vauxhall advertised the Vectra as the car with a thousand improvements. The joke of the day was that it must have been a bad car to start with.

Having said that, I did work with a chap who had one and he swore by it.

Ive never had a Vectra before, but used to have mk 3 cav's, at the time bar rust in the arches and track rod ends that used to sieze in

the steering so you couldn't adjust the tracking,I never had any problems with them. My daily run around is a 1.7 Diesel Astra Van,

regularly clocks over a thousand miles a week, and not to many issues with it. No where near as quick as the Vectra though but if

driven sensibly on the motorway will genuinely return 70mpg+ (6 speed box). Apparently post 2005 Vectras had the suspension

issues sorted so they now handle ok. I guess to a certain extent this new one is recapturing my youth with everything on it that I

wanted as a teenager and yet had to do without because of the insurance issues and lack of money (still haven't got the money but

insurance is only £260 a year for me and the wife). I also like the idea of shocking a few boy racers in a diesel automatic.

Finally picked this up yesterday, and got through 40quids worth of diesel. According to the computer my worst mpg was down to 5 but averaging around the 30's so quite pleased as its so nice to drive on the motorway and in towns but would still prefer a manual for the country roads.