HeadExam

Wheel Horse D160 engine swap

In the process of removing the engine from the D160 with the bad rear end and installing it on the D160 with the rear PTO. This will get 30x10-12 Interco Interforce bar lug tires in the rear and cast iron four bolt trailer hubs up front with 4.00-10 tri-ribs

post-384-0-05838700-1450834216_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-76392100-1450834220_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-31160400-1450834223_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-42513600-1450834226_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-40038100-1450834229_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-78938100-1450834244_thumb.jpg

post-384-0-13878000-1450834378.jpg

I agree with Mark on those tyres, especially the tri ribs ones. Look great.

The tri-ribs being on a 10" rim, not an 8", makes them 20.5" tall versus the 16" tall 16x6.50-8 or 4.00-8 tire. Considering that half of that 4" is split between the top and bottom, that lifts the front of the tractor a little over 2", and it will need it, the 30x10-12 Intercos being 30" tall are 4" taller than the standard 26x12-12 which raises the rear of the tractor 2". This ground clearance will really help in farm chores such as ploughing, discing, or tilling. If you have noticed our little tractors, more so the bigger tractors like the D, they really sit low to the ground during ploughing duties and can get lost discing or tilling a freshly plowed field. In contrast take a small tractor like the Holder or Gutbrod, they sit higher of the ground , because they were primarily designed as a ground engaging machine that could mow, not visa versa

I can't wait to get the tri ribs on my Bolens 1254 as I got a set of Agri tyres on the rear. As you say Alain, I will be hoping to use the 1254 to plough and till the soil hence the tyre set up.

I have the 4.00-8 tri-ribs on several of my medium size tractors like the 1556 and Allis 416. they are really good at tracking a furrow and turning in loose dirt, but it has been difficult to find good rear AG tyres, some like the Deestone and their like are low ply, low lug height, and wide lug spacing, and while this does give improved traction, tyres like this almost need chains,especially in adverse weather conditions like you blokes often have over there, Mark and Bendy come to mind. The 27x7.5-12 Interco Interforce will fit under some medium size tractors, but not all, The Maxxis Ceros or Duro Frontiers maybe the best all around tyre, but would work better in narrower widths for ploughing and wider widths for mowing or yard work. I can't find the ITP 589s anymore, but they do sell a ITP 489 that is far less money and still a great AG. The ATV tires while not very original looking provide excellent traction and a lower price than most reproduction GT AG tyres due to mass production cost savings. In the end to each his own and what he or his wife can afford. :D

For now the rolling Chassis will be held in reserve for spares, maybe later a repower, but I have to split the rear case to fix a bad bushing/bearing.

how do you know if it needs new bearings? my hydro gearbox on my c-160 almost feels like its lost power over the last 3 mouth, do you have any ideas?

how do you know if it needs new bearings? my hydro gearbox on my c-160 almost feels like its lost power over the last 3 mouth, do you have any ideas?

On mine the entire axle is pulling out of the case. The bushing, bearing, and C clip have failed letting the axle retreat to the west and possibly fall out if run to far or in circles to the left. One your hydro check the linkage and see if its charging completely forward and retreating fully in reverse, get it up off the ground and watch and see if the linkage has full travel in the slot and that it hits neutral detent area and the wheels stop moving. If in the neutral position the wheels turn either forward or reverse the linkage needs adjustment, this could cause the tractor not to have full power. Check the filter and see if it is correct filter for the tractor, sometimes people inadvertently buy filters for crankcase oil and not transmission fluid, the transmission filters not only have a small micron rating, but are different inside to insure proper flow. If you have never changed the fluid and filter I urge you to do so, using the proper parts. 

I may be wrong, but compared to you guys over there in the States, we don't have the range of quality tyres for garden tractors readily available over here.

That may be true, but only due to market threshold and range. The ATV, RTV, and other small off road equipment market is a much larger market here in the states. I order most of my tyres off ePay site and chose the lowest price with free shipping. I have compared these prices to brick and mortar store tyre prices and found internet stores to be half or more less in price. The result is that you can afford a better tyre for the same price as a poor tyre. The first thing to remember is that buying a cheap or low quality tyre that looks good is similar to courtship experiences, the wrong choice will cost you in the short run, long run, and running in general and most likely you will be running without the tyres or auto you paid for. However a premium high quality tyre not only looks good, but will bring a lifetime of good experiences that will make life rewarding. This explanation is often received well by the female in your life as she would want to think her mate smart enough to make good choices, after all you picked her.