wurzel

Bolens 1886 engine swop

Hi i got a Bolens 1886 with a blown engine i think its thrown a conrod .I cant seem to find any spares at a reasonable price so im thinking of putting a Wisconsin TJD

in (i just happen to have a tidy TJD ) unless anyone knows of a kohler 482s going cheap

thanks nick

post-679-0-26735100-1452105977_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-66550300-1452106055_thumb.jpg

post-679-0-53126600-1452106104_thumb.jpg

PM sent!

That's a lovely looking tractor you got. Would love one for myself one day.......

Radmore and Tucker are still going strong in Exeter and I often pop in to buy stuff for my line of work.

I bought it from Abbey mowers last year its got a nice big mowing deck with it.  A customer of theres sold it with his house the new owner ran it without oil 

havent had chance to sort it yet id like to keep it original as its so  tidy but ive yet to find another kohler .

the ST1600 is my first bolens i use that for pulling a big 4 wheel trailer round the garden as its realy manouverable 

the h16 i use for the rotavator 

the qt17 i use for a homemade grader/plough  i made to level my drive 

the dgt 1700 runs but its stripped at the moment as it has a few things that need sorting (ive got a rotavator for it and a deck but ive not tried them yet) i always wanted a diesel

the 1886 doesnt run 

the g8/10 doesnt run 

bottom line there my toys 

i started colecting them last year first was the st1600  Â£153 of ebay i liked it so much i caught the bug

im always on the lookout but there usually in Norfolk or devon

id love a backhoe and loader for the 1886 ive even thought about making one

Anything in Norfolk is Iain's domain ! As for Devon, I don't think they turn up that often except that H16.

Abbey Mowers is that in Tavistock? There was guy in N Devon telling me about a LF Bolens early last year but nothing came of it as his contact sold up to someone else. I am wondering if yours 1886 is that one?

the 1886 was up for sale on abbey mowers website i bought it via paypal but then there was some confusion as they said someone else was after it 

i think it was tavistock it was next door to a winch place in devon

Don't tell me anymore ! LOL

The guy in N Devon knew the owner of the Bolens but the son did a job lot to save time and hassle. He was well annoyed to have been bypassed as he was supposedly meant to have first dibs on it.

if its any consolation ive missed out on the same HT23 on ebay twice now first time i was out bid then a few months later the buyer put it up again i was winning the bid and then it was pulled from sale 

Hi,

I got an 1886 which works :D . You will spoil it if you put that other engine in. I rebuilt my engine with new rings & valves & a coil. Is a beast of a mower & I love it

Bet if its been run low on oil then the crank will be shot. Its very hard to find certain parts for these twins any more unless you get 2nd hand from the US but most of them are shot as well

Chris

post-162-0-63532000-1452196312_thumb.jpg

nice pic deck looks the same as mine

id like to sort the engine thats in and keep it original because it doesnt look to have been messed with  but second hand parts from the states are a fortune 

the wisconsin ive got is in realy good condition and its a better engine.

and thats the dilema

nick 

Not as powerful as the Kohler.

Parts are not a fortune if you ask the right people. Shipping is the killer, but if you want it right you have to pay for it

You wont know what the engine is like until you pull it apart. They are very heavy lumps. not too bad to get out. Its the drive shaft you may have an issue with

its definately not moving one of the pistons, turns over freely other piston moves no compression 

BTW the TJD is an 18hp twin ive seen a few conversions in the states