moogie

Starter motor help.

Hi, when i got my Raider 12 someone had already taken most of the brushes out of the starter, so im at a bit of a loss to where everything goes. I think i have got the brushes in the correct way,

post-634-0-02100100-1455564304_thumb.jpg

What i need to know is, when the + bolt comes through the end case, in what order should the nuts and washers be stacked ? Is it the fiber/plastic washer first, then a nut, then a steel washer and then the second nut ?

post-634-0-53863700-1455564737_thumb.jpg

post-634-0-48113100-1455564778_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Noel.

The objective is to insulate the feed to the brushes from the starter body so, as you say the plastic/ fibre washer goes on first, then the steel washer and nut. Don't over tighten the nut or twist the stud connected to the brush connection while tightening the nut. Then fit the wire form the solenoid , possibly with a spring or star washer and finally the nut - again beware of twisting the stud while pinching it up.

hi watch when you reassemble that the wires dont get pinched  by the cap or long studs and cause a short circuit

cheers nick

Another point to watch when working on permanent magnet type starters is not to grip the body of the starter in a vice as too much squeeze may " unbond " the ceramic magnets which will then try to rotate with the armature and wreck the starter.