Jeroenw114

Start of Drillgine restoration

Hi gentelman,

This weekend I started restoring a Dilllgine with O&R engine. Restoring is a big word, the parts are mostly dirty. The parts are in good condition.
But I do have some questions regarding availability of parts and tips. This is my first O&R project and second small engine project. So I could use some advice!

I do hope I did not put to many questions in one thread.....

1) First the seal between engine part and drill part. Seen in this picture but when I tried to take it off it snapped in three pieces. Are new available? Or other solutions?
SAM_2795_zps1xzgayc8.jpg

2) Then gaskets. Are there gaskets available from the drill gearbox? And the carburetor? (a new diaphragm is comming my way)
I have salvaged the gasgets as good as possible and can always use liquid stuff or try to cut new ones myself but NOS is much more easy.

3) Then air filter. The original filter was totally decomposed. I think that a new piece can be inserted trough the opening? What do others, use a piece of standard material and what?
SAM_2767_zps0sf5lzir.jpg

4) The gas cable.  I thought is was connected to the carb but when I took things apart I am not sure anymore. Does this cable miss something? Can someone post a picture?
SAM_2768_zpss34x9f5p.jpg

5) The yellow parts need a respray. Someone did half once and now it's duo colored. So I took the starter rope etc. apart and shocked of the spring jumping out. That will need to be re winded. But how many turns??
SAM_2782_zpsr9rwwql4.jpg

The engine and all other parts cleaned out real nice. I think the used materials are of high quality? Even the bare alu tubes have no traces of corrosion.

SAM_2797_zpsbm3pqj6k.jpg

SAM_2800_zps6sn77lh5.jpg

And the colored bits. (are decals available?)
SAM_2794_zpsnxl50b6u.jpg

looking good so far:thumbs:

as for the pull start, just wind it up till it fits again with the rope pulley thing, wind it up the way it would go when pulling the rope. once there is some good tension clap it down so the holes for the rope to go through line up and put the rope through. tie a knot in it so it wont go out the pulley and release the clamp, it should wind up the rope as far as it's needed. pull out the rope a bit, put the handle on and you're good to go. make sure you have enough rope because its very anoying to see the end of the rope dissapear in the pullstarter and having to start over again:rolleyes:

Drillgines are actually one of the tougher O&R tools to work on because of the sequence of they way the parts need to go on or off.

That thing looks NICE and clean, good job!

Where did you get the diaphragm from? Joe Weber in St. Louis? If so, contact him about the other seals and gaskets. And a clip for the throttle

Get that old air filter material out of there! I just use small engine air filter foam cut to size. Cut a small disc and stuff it in there. You can find it at a lawnmower/small engine shop or hardware stores.

Doubt you can find the "Drillgine" decal for the tank but a guy on Ebay sells the one for the recoil.

I'll see if I can get you a pic of the throttle connection but this should help. The clip which holds it in place is just a small bent piece of flat spring steel

Untitled.jpg

On 6/13/2016 at 0:06 PM, Jeroenw114 said:
5) The yellow parts need a respray. Someone did half once and now it's duo colored. So I took the starter rope etc. apart and shocked of the spring jumping out. That will need to be re winded. But how many turns??

The model 13B spring should go back something like this;

SAM_4903e.jpg

I have the procedure for reassembling the starter for the later model 20A engine, it may be a little confusing though as the 20A could be altered to change the rotation of the engine. And assembling it the wrong way results in a broken spring.

I've only seen a decal/sticker on the fuel tank for the later Drillgine with the model 13B engine, none of my saved pictures show any decals on the square recoil spring housing.

David

On 6/14/2016 at 9:37 AM, Jeroenw114 said:

Thanks!

Yes, from Joe Weber. I will ask him about the other parts.

No you have contact details for joe Webber? Thanks. Andy

The seal in your first photo can be purchased from McMaster Carr, it’s just a square o-ring.  

Like Wallfish indicated standard small engine filter foam will work. I usually stuff it through the hole and then use a pic or screw driver to work it around until it expands into place.

Hi Andy,
I posted this in 2016. This project I never finished and sold it all. On this moment I am building a Hotrod. Hope I do finish that one.

2 hours ago, Jeroenw114 said:

Hi Andy,
I posted this in 2016. This project I never finished and sold it all. On this moment I am building a Hotrod. Hope I do finish that one.

please do post pictures of said hot rod

It is a Citroen AC4 from 1932. Starts as looking good but is not as good as looks.

spacer.png

This is my goal

spacer.png

Ford V8 

(With Opel waterpump)

20190512-141122.jpg

Pump

spacer.png

Made a steeringwheel. Opel Elektronic power steering fitted to Mustang colom and Citroen box. 

20190505-164953.jpg

Lasercut dash with NOS Jaeger gauges.

SAM-4660.jpg

Made a steel wall and roof (was wood and rot)

20200325-180232.jpg

20200405-160051.jpg

20200329-150950.jpg

Volvo rear axle, Dodge leafsprings and Jeep U-bolts. And some lasercut metal

Achteras1.jpg

8 hours ago, C-101plowerpower said:

nice, i'd love to see a seperate build thread on it

That would be a good idea, just I can't think which section it should be in, as we don't seem to have a car related section at the moment.

Do you have any more before pictures, I'm curious as to how it it looked inside and what engine it originally had.

David