HeadExam

eBay buyers

As a eNay seller when a person buys an item I am asked to give feedback, which I do shortly after the person receives the item. I say thanks for the sale and payment and leave positive feedback, but there is a trend going on across eNay in which buyers are receiving the item and several days later, after receiving good feedback they are making a claim the item was missing pieces or defective. This scam has just hit me on a electronic miniature TV antenna/transmitter. The buyer saw that I had a best offer and made an offer of 30 percent less than asking price and even though my asking price was way below market value. I wanted to sell the item so I accepted his offer. 4 days later the person had not paid for the item and I emailed him to ask if he still wanted it. He replied he did, and would pay that evening. He did not do so, but paid the following day, nearly 5 days after cutting me down 30 percent. I sent him the item in its original box and with all the contents pictured in the ad and a week after he had received it, he makes a claim to eNay that it did not contain all the parts that were supposed to be in the box. I emailed the buyer and asked him if he received everything pictured that in the ad, and he said he did, but that there was something else that was supposed to be in there. So my point to eNay was that I sold him the contents of the box in which he saw before the sale and now he wants more? What he wants is the deluxe model that he didn't buy that comes with two of the items in one box, or he didn't really want to buy it in the first place

2 hours ago, Triumph66 said:

I have yet to be scammed on eBay but I feel that it won't be long before someone try it.:angry:

I have had a lot of time wasters though asking questions etc & never getting back to me. 

I had 7 messages about a bagger for grasshopper mower I posted it for a friend and I said such in the ad. In the first message I received I told the guy I knew nothing about grasshopper mower models and what would fit what, after 6 more emails of him asking if it would fit a different model, what size the mounts were, where it mounted, and the number of bags (showed in the pictures), I never heard from the guy again. No thanks, nothing. I refuse to answer any questions anymore, no one answers any of mine either.

I stopped selling altogether , I used to make and sell cut vinyl signs and stickers but gave up .The feed back was always good it was just the competitors emailing for silly things .One claimed to be a taxi company that wanted 6 taxi sets of graphics .Not a problem .This went on for 2 weeks with the customer accepting the designs then emailing an hour latter with alterations based upon colour or additional wording .In the end i asked my nephew down in Margate to check the company out for me ( He designed and now fits a taxi tracking system) so knows most taxi companies personally ) .Yep , the company did not exist .Just another competitor mucking about and wasting my time .

But i hold my hands upto emailing sellers with silly questions myself , as i sometimes need a thing for a thing that i cannot buy new .

I have just rebuilt a 1974 Yamaha TY80 for one of my boys and needed a kickstart shaft , pay £100 for a TY or look around .An RD80 one came up for sale so after 3 emails asking for shaft diameter and length , then teeth number on the sprocket , then angle of the stop tab i was happy it would fit and bought it .And it fitted so i saved £80 and got what i was after .

But after many years of buying i found that if i emailed all the info in a single message , usually the seller would not reply with all i had asked .

And i always try to collect as when i arrive i have a natter and usually come away with other bits and bobs the seller didnt even think of selling .

Just 2 days ago i bought a Wolseley 500 rough cut mower after i made a best offer , when i arrived at the sellers home we talked for an hour then it transpired he was the son of an old friend who i had not seen since he was 10 , 15 mins latter and i came away with the mower and a Wolseley WD11 for a tenner and a set of cast sack barrow wheels and axle with the forged lift plate for another tenner .

Buy i always try my best to ascertain suitability before making an offer or buying anything .

And recently i have been plaqued by non arrival little bits and bobs , seemed to have statrted after the privatisation of Royal Mail .WIth the odd ones turning up after an extra week or more ! .The latest were 4 battery packs for 18650 batteries , the seller was adament he had sent them so i waited an extra 2 weeks and they eventuallu turned up .

Which i feel was a case of selling before the stock was available to sell more than a missing item , as it seems to be a more prevalant way of selling new items nowadays  .Take your money then order the items from a warehouse then send them to you after 4 or 5 weeks .

Our postal system uses tracking numbers, so we can tell exactly where the package or letter is. We can tell when a label was printed, when it arrived at the postal facility, and when it arrives and leaves each destination, and even when it out for delivery. We also get a notification from the post office the minute the package leave the originating station that a package or letter is on the way. You are right about communication with most sellers, for various reasons they are not very good at answering questions, but one reason I have found is that the sellers don't know much about what their selling.

I don't sell very much, but when I do, I always add as much info as possible (including Shipping weight). This is because like M.M.M Chris says, I also know people out there require items to use or adapt for other purposes. I do just that myself.

I experienced my first non arrival of an item this earlier week, but received a full refund. I promptly searched, found and ordered a replacement, cost me more and I asked the buyer if he would send it 'Signed for' 2nd Class, charging me the extra cost to be more sure of delivery. He would only send it 2nd class !, so I'm hoping it will turn up, as I need to progress with the Mower Deck.

A lot of items I purchase from U.S. , I will always look for sellers offering the Global Shipping Programme. It has many benefits. 

I often find parts listed with an erroneous description or info, which, if you know what you're looking for, will likely be a bargain purchase, as many people ignore/don't notice it.

18 minutes ago, HeadExam said:

Our postal system uses tracking numbers, so we can tell exactly where the package or letter is. We can tell when a label was printed, when it arrived at the postal facility, and when it arrives and leaves each destination, and even when it out for delivery. We also get a notification from the post office the minute the package leave the originating station that a package or letter is on the way. You are right about communication with most sellers, for various reasons they are not very good at answering questions, but one reason I have found is that the sellers don't know much about what their selling.

My son bought a phone from abroad and it ended up in the Netherlands , he got a message saying it had been sent onto England so we both sat watching http://www.heathrow-london.co.uk/airport/live-air-traffic-radar the only DHL plane that had taken off in the Netherlands as it came across and over Kent .

So we actully were watching the radar track of the delivery plane bringing it to him :lol: .

But it still took another 2 days to arrive at the door ? .

But at the other end of the scale we have been given tracking numbers from Chinese companies that when entered into the carriers system simply does not exist ? .

With me emailing a carrier once and asking where my delivery was , turned out they did not even have it ? .

But i understand the dilema of distance buying , especially as with a recent purchase , the buyer shows a Sigma APO lens which should have 5 APO elements in the lens groiup and a normal DG 70-300 with a single APO element arrives , his excuse was that he didint relise he had uploaded an image of a different lens , and because the DG has an APO element he did advertise the lens correctly ? .So i am stuck with a crappy lens and still relying on my old Tamron 75-300 for now .

And i did win an old diesel greens roller once ( tricycle style ) as i had a job for it , as it went cheap i was imediatly informed that it had fallen off a fork lift and had broken in half ,

I informed him that it did not matter and i still wanted it as i was going to remove the front steering roller any way , he then replied that he had now put it in a skip ? and i was given a refund .....Another item was a Hilti nail gun , a 50 mile trip to pick it up ended with the seller no where to be seen and me being informed he may have gone out walking ? A 2 hour wait ended with me simply going home , but another case of the auction price being too low for the seller  as he started it off at £9 and no one else bid .

So i have had my fair share of time wasting sellers along the way .

14 minutes ago, Anglo Traction said:

I experienced my first non arrival of an item this earlier week, but received a full refund. I promptly searched, found and ordered a replacement, cost me more and I asked the buyer if he would send it 'Signed for' 2nd Class, charging me the extra cost to be more sure of delivery. He would only send it 2nd class !, so I'm hoping it will turn up, as I need to progress with the Mower Deck.           

Just after I posted this, my Letterbox rattled and my 1&1/8"AF 'King Dick' Ex Army Spanner dropped into my 'Catch Basket':). Blades n Spindles here we go!.

1 hour ago, Mister Mad Mower said:

My son bought a phone from abroad and it ended up in the Netherlands , he got a message saying it had been sent onto England so we both sat watching http://www.heathrow-london.co.uk/airport/live-air-traffic-radar the only DHL plane that had taken off in the Netherlands as it came across and over Kent .

So we actully were watching the radar track of the delivery plane bringing it to him :lol: .

But it still took another 2 days to arrive at the door ? .

But at the other end of the scale we have been given tracking numbers from Chinese companies that when entered into the carriers system simply does not exist ? .

With me emailing a carrier once and asking where my delivery was , turned out they did not even have it ? .

But i understand the dilema of distance buying , especially as with a recent purchase , the buyer shows a Sigma APO lens which should have 5 APO elements in the lens groiup and a normal DG 70-300 with a single APO element arrives , his excuse was that he didint relise he had uploaded an image of a different lens , and because the DG has an APO element he did advertise the lens correctly ? .So i am stuck with a crappy lens and still relying on my old Tamron 75-300 for now .

And i did win an old diesel greens roller once ( tricycle style ) as i had a job for it , as it went cheap i was imediatly informed that it had fallen off a fork lift and had broken in half ,

I informed him that it did not matter and i still wanted it as i was going to remove the front steering roller any way , he then replied that he had now put it in a skip ? and i was given a refund .....Another item was a Hilti nail gun , a 50 mile trip to pick it up ended with the seller no where to be seen and me being informed he may have gone out walking ? A 2 hour wait ended with me simply going home , but another case of the auction price being too low for the seller  as he started it off at £9 and no one else bid .

So i have had my fair share of time wasting sellers along the way .

Yes it happens on both ends quite frequently. In the US the chance that an item is within a 5 hour drive is slim, so most things are shipped. I always ask for full resolution pictures before the auction ends, if I don't get them I don't bid