HeadExam

Montgomery Wards 5 Hp Tiller

This is the first 4 speed with reverse model I've seen. It has some sort of clutch on the back and one belt. Most of these had two belts that were twisted and had a lever to engage a reverse by using a tension pulley to run the belts the other way. It has some surface rust on the skirt, a little overspray on it, but the tines and gear box look nearly new

20161009_122115.jpg

20161009_122121.jpg

20161009_122134.jpg

20161009_122147.jpg

Handy machine. I like the 'Sod Buster' label in 1st Gear position :D.

I had duel Belts on a '71' JD 624E Tiller, operated by a lever and pulley driven off the Camshaft for reverse.

That machine look's way tidy. I get ones that look like this to sort out-

DSC00285.JPGDSC00286.JPG  

Not that Brand Alain, but here there are brand like Kurust and Trustan 23 which do the same.

I also find them very handy, but they can't cope with thick rust and the job has to be well dry before priming/painting.

4 hours ago, Anglo Traction said:

Not that Brand Alain, but here there are brand like Kurust and Trustan 23 which do the same.

I also find them very handy, but they can't cope with thick rust and the job has to be well dry before priming/painting.

OSPHO has a clear varnish type sealer in it that dries overnight that results in a sacrificial layer, but no it is not for a heavy rust, more for surface rust. Most items down, here even with our humidity, have minimal rust.