Restomod

Tiny Tiger Generator help needed

I just got a Tiny Tiger Generator and I've went through the engine and carburetor in hopes of getting it going. The engine is complete and in fair condition but the carburetor looks like it's been worked on and reassembled improperly.  I know that the needle valve assembly is completely missing but it has another needle screw that seems to be wrong altogether. It also has two threaded holes that nothing was screwed into. The diaphragm looks to have been made from a blue nitrile glove and not original and the pump that the diaphragm runs doesn't look like it was reassembled properly and maybe even missing something as well. The engine starts when I squirt a little fuel mixture into the carb but without the needle valve assembly it doesn't stay running. I used a drill to spin start it cause the recoil starter also seems like something is missing or assembled wrong too. Any advice, pictures, parts or comments are very welcome. Thanks

1477043366640-459764704.jpg

1477043493312-1603483298.jpg

1477043586937-459642073.jpg

14770436537621123358448.jpg

14770437846411139438288.jpg

1477043843963428929554.jpg

The side mounted needle valve is original as it's an earlier style carb, there should be a #10x32 screw (half inch long with lock washer) that is missing from yours.

Webhead on here sells replacement carb diaphragms, the originals have often gone hard & brittle, it's rare to find one that is still flexible.

Here are some pictures of the carb from my Petro Chug-A-Pump that I restored last year. Check that you have all the bits shown in the first picture, the small roller & ball bearing are often missing if someone has been in there before.

SAM_6011e.jpg

SAM_6018e.jpg

SAM_6016e.jpg

The starter spring can be repaired by heating the end section with a blowtorch and bending to the correct shape with a pair of round nose pliers, make sure that it goes back in the right way round when reassembling, as shown in the second picture below.

SAM_5026e.jpg

SAM_6203e.jpg

David

Welcome to MoM

That is an older style carb body with the adjustment needle on the side of the body. (Correct for that style) There should be a screw in that top hole to hold the diaphragm assembly to the body and not a needle valve assembly.

You will need a new diaphragm. Also make sure there is a thin plastic check valve (which gets sandwiched between the 2 halves of the carb). You will see it in pics under the carb tutorial thread.

We had these laser cut along with the diaphragms so they are now available again and are perfect matches to the originals.

The two holes I think you're referring to are used for a throttle cable which are not used for the Tiny Tiger application. They're used for applications like the Chicken Power and some Drills ect.

You'll need to install a new rope and handle for the recoil. The side you have pictured is the spring side. After attaching and coiling the rope on the spool, that slot goes over the spring but it can be tricky sometimes to get them to lock. Looks like you may need to bend the spring a little into a hook. I'll see what I can find for pics to help you out.

Member @Webhead, Joe should have all the parts you need. Send him a PM. He probably has the rope, handle, little rope attaching wire, check valve, diaphragm and the carb screw.

If he doesn't have something, let me know and I'll check my small parts stash. ( no need to check with us both to compare prices, mine will be higher as my parts stash is small and used to repair my personal engines) I'm not trying to discourage you from asking for what you need but people have done this in the past, only to think I'm trying to gouge them for profit which is NOT the case. I just prefer to keep my parts and selling them for $10 is just not worth it to me since I paid a premium amount for them. That being said, I still try to be as fair as I can if someone needs something and I have it.

Something happened while replying and I think there were some updates being made to the site at the same time so my reply was delayed doubled.

David obviously hooked you up with pics and good info.

Yes the forum did seem to go off-line for a few minutes when I first tried to reply and the post didn't appear. I then went into the shed to check the size of the carb screw as it wasn't on my notepad list. The pictures were still there when I started the reply again though.

I didn't realise the plastic check valve was now available again, I will probably need some more when I use the last two spares I have, as the early ones seems to deteriorate in the same way as the diaphragms, I even had one check valve completely missing the flap section.

David

Excellent explanations from David and John. both are very familiar with the older style carb. And John, you explained the parts thing to a tee. Hence the reason I liquidated most of my parts, although I don't mind keeping David stocked with anything that I have left! I have diaphragms and check valves and prefer cash in the mail for a lunch or six pack. No starter parts left.