HeadExam

1975 Wheel Horse D200

I only collect single cylinders, but I ended up winning the auction on this Wheel Horse D-200 twin cylinder at a very reasonable price. So now I see a Bolens HT20 in my future as well. Someone took two Brinly single gang discs and a Brinly three point sleeve hitch adapter and married them to make a nice double gang disc.

AP9597ZC.JPG

AP9597ZE.JPG

Just now, Triumph66 said:

A nice find Alain. 

Thanks Andrew, I saw the low hours, the dual brakes, rear PTO, three point, and finish mower and put a bid of 1100 on it, the other bidder went to 1000 and it pushed my bid to 1050, one more bid and he would have ha d it, oooh so close. Did you know the C and D wheel Horse tractors had thrust washer bearings under their spindles?

A good buy at that price and no I didn't know about the thrust washers.

I am excited about your forthcoming Bolens HT20 when you source one. If it is like anything like the others you have collected it will be a fabulous example.

A great buy Alain, looks better than my D-200.

Like Andrew, I didn't know about the thrust washers. When I rebuilt the steering on my D-160 I thought that the steering needed thrust washers so I added some, clearly I was thinking along the same lines as the WH engineers (which is a worry :o).

The Ross steering box on these D-series is not great and if you feel the need to do a rebuild all the parts are on the shelf cheaply

at a JD dealer, as some models used the same steering box. I believe I posted the part numbers on RedSquare ages ago, but let me know if you need them. When I get some tractor time I plan to rebuild the steering box on my D-200. Now who do I know that works for a JD dealer who might be able to get me a discount on the parts... :)B)

Iain

Thank you Iain, I appreciate the advice and knowledge. The steering is pretty tight on this and it just so happens I rebuilt two John Deere 317 columns not long ago. I plan on going with a taller narrower tire on this D200 so that will reduce stress and wear, but if it is loose it will be more noticeable. I really like this engine and hope to score a HT20 soon as well.

EDIT: I did the same thing to your name as others often do to mine, put the "i" before the "a", I fixed it, where is spell check when you need it, lol