HeadExam

Auction Site Rip-offs

Beware to anyone considering selling on that major auction site from the US.  I wont mention their name, but it begins with a E and ends in Bay.

I sold an engine block and literally minutes after the buyer receives it he files a claim that it and says it was broken. Prior to the sale the customer emails me and asks several questions to determine if it is the same part, as it it turns out they are from the same tractor and he is happy because his engine block has a hole in it. I spend three hours cleaning and inspecting the block before packing and shipment, I include a few extras not listed in the sale like all the connecting bolts, cam gear, and oil pump, and pack it up securely using bubble wrap and foam padding. I sold the block for 50.00 plus 20.00 flat rate shipping. Other blocks like it are trending at 125.00. It actually cost me 26.00 for the shipping as extra parts and packing material has increased the weight estimate, so I am settling for a net profit of 44.00. After he files a claim with the auction site, I email him and ask if the package was damaged in transit and to send pictures of the damaged/broken block. That email and two more subsequent emails were never answered and no pictures were ever sent.. Both eBay and PayPal also requested pictures. That was over three weeks ago and the auction site is still holding my money until the 19th of November. If he still requests a refund anytime before November 19th the auction site will give him the money even without pictures or proof of damage. The auction site also said I was going to be charged 26.00 for a return shipping label if he decided to return the item. I removed my 55 for sale items from the auction site, closed my account, removed my CC and bank account from my PayPal account and closed it. I also filed a fraud report to my Visa card for the amount the auction site and customer owe me. Apparently the auction site has a buyer protection guarantee, but absolutely no seller protection. Their response to me was that losses were a part of dong business. I replied that since they were a partner in the profits they should be a partner in the losses, they declined to shoulder any of the burden. If the customer makes a claim and receives the money back I intend on filing a criminal complaint. I know he isn't sending pictures because his block isn't apart and he can't and/or he is afraid I might have an identifying mark or have taken pictures before shipping, I did.

I try to price my items well below the going rate, because I want to sell them and have them gone, and to a large degree I want others to have them that need them at a reasonable price, but when I get ripped off, it makes me want to hold on to everything and wait until I get offered more money for the parts than they would normally would sell for. I really don't want to do that. The biggest problem I see with any of these problems is that the person you communicate from these auction/shipping companes with is often not much more than a robot and cant or wont be able to help in instances where there truly is a problem. The companies would like you to suffer the problem, not them. These companies view their customers as a back bencher at the House of Commons, when they should treat them like a full member of the court

Was it to his registered ebay address? if so I think you may have some protection? I could be wrong though.

Also have you got a signature off the carrier stating the goods were received in good condition? If so the small claims court

would probably rule in your favour.

13 hours ago, S1g said:

Was it to his registered ebay address? if so I think you may have some protection? I could be wrong though.

Also have you got a signature off the carrier stating the goods were received in good condition? If so the small claims court

would probably rule in your favour.

It was to his registered eBay address, but eBay's policy is for the seller to always issue a refund. They say they have a seller protection, but that entails video taping the package being put into the box and sealed shut in front of the postmaster or another witness equal to a public notary. Here in the US small claims judgments are pretty worthless unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars worth of time and money to collect, the courts don't involve themselves in those matters. Our legal system, and maybe all legal systems favor the rich and the devious. tomorrow is my day. I wonder if he will make another demand for his refund?I wonder why has not communicated on this matter? This seems very odd.