Sign in to follow this  
Thorn1979

Pedal power!

Not garden equipment I know, but cute nonetheless so I thought I would share this with you all too...

My half-sister's stepdad used to use this little treadle fretsaw as a boy. He made models with it and the model coronation coach and horses is still in their family.

It languished in my sister's shed after he died, and she decided to pass it on to us because she knew we'd appreciate it. It was a bit rattly though - didn't need a lot of work, just a strip, clean, a fresh coat (or 3) of dark green paint and tightening everything up. You can get tiny treadle lathes by the same manufacturer. Can you imagine this being sold as a toy nowadays?!

My hope eventually is to get Martin to make a little jig for it so that I can use it to cut mitres for picture framing.

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

My grandma has one of these fret saws in her garage, my great uncle used to buy the Hobbies Magazines weekly and the Annuals, many of which are now in my possession as well as the model plans. He used to make model boats with it. 

I know! I can't imagine this ever getting into shops nowadays. Cub Cadet, I wonder if the models my sister's dad used to make were the same ones from the magazines. I expect so. I just like the little thing, wish I could come up with a practical use for it to justify the space it takes up!

2 hours ago, Thorn1979 said:

I know! I can't imagine this ever getting into shops nowadays. Cub Cadet, I wonder if the models my sister's dad used to make were the same ones from the magazines. I expect so. I just like the little thing, wish I could come up with a practical use for it to justify the space it takes up!

I would guess so as the Hobbies company made different products and advertised them in the magazines.