howardman

Mystery Powered Barrow

A vintage collector friend of mind dropped this into my yard last weekend. He has had it for a good few years..but never had it running. It looks a useful bit of kit ..anyone know the maker ?. Its fitted with a robin engine (Ey 20 i think) which i have started to strip down. All cables etc are seized but gearbox seems OK ..worked  by hand with cable ends disconnected.

P2220029.JPG

P2220030.JPG

Hi Pat, I worked on one of these many years ago. I seem to recall that

it may of been made by Stothert & Pitt? Had a lot of trouble stopping the carb leakin due to the angle of the engine, in the end I had o resort to a new carb for the customer.

Tks Gareth you certainly know your machinery! here is a picture of the engine with a strange pulley /clutch system attached. Need to get a carb ..its very corroded...was seized solid.

rsz_p2230035.jpg

Hi Pat, im quite familiar with the light plant that was floating about in the mid/late 1990's.

A good source of Robin Spares is Meetens, but from memory the carbs are quite expensive.

About two years ago when we moved a lot of these Robin engines were skipped sorry,

otherwise you could of had a s/h carb.

Not too worried about the carb ..lots on the bay (Chinese copies) that are low priced.Interesting point about the carb leaking due to the mounting angle.

Its the odd pulley system i could do with some info on...it slides outwards ..the gap between each section then widens. The allen key nuts on the pulley are small and seized.

The company story is interesting ..started in 1785 and gone by 1989. The built quality is top notch ...very well balanced tipping barrow.

I'm guessing that the pulley is like that to alter the gearing, as the belt grips in a different place it technically makes the pulley bigger or smaller. I'm sure the one I worked on just had a standard centifugal clutch but it was nearly 20 years ago.

14 minutes ago, S1g said:

I'm guessing that the pulley is like that to alter the gearing, as the belt grips in a different place it technically makes the pulley bigger or smaller. I'm sure the one I worked on just had a standard centifugal clutch but it was nearly 20 years ago.

Looks as though it could br a combined centrifugal clutch and vari-speed pulley . There would be some sort of mechanism to take up the slack or apply tension to the belt to alter its position in the pulley to effect the change of speed, possibly controlled by the heavy cable and lever on the left hand handle bar. An image of what ever is under the guard on the left may give a clue. 

Edited by Wristpin

I have one that runs, my father purchased two machines at an auction in the  mid 1960's one complete the other for parts. Mine is called a furnco load a dump, powered by a 4hp Briggs with a centrifical belt clutch to a  forward/reverse trans axel with a cable operated drum brake and posi lock axel incorporated on the trans. All the operating function labels are in German. I fabricated linkage to operate forward/reverse function and was able to adapt motor cycle cables to replace the throtle , brake , and posi  Iv'e also seen the same machine called a Furnco Powr Barrow. Very power full and well made, will post some pics soon. the clutch works on the same principal as a snowmobile at idle the clutch pulleys are wide the drive belt slacks, when the engine is throttled up the slack in the drive belt allows the r.p.m.to increase to prevent it from stalling, at the same time the clutch pulleys become narrow increasing the diameter of the  clutch pulley which removes the slack in the drive belt. All this occurs within a couple of seconds of reaching full throttle the machine moves  at a pace of a slow walk.

Edited by Squ542
additional info.

I use my one every so often in my landscaping business ....its surprisingly powerful  for a 5 hp engine....it can really move . We load it with a mini digger and it handy for moving  soil or gravel. Its a bit tricky to control  to say the least......a more modern machine nowadays  would be hydro static. It takes the equivalent of 3.5 normal wheelbarrows at a time  and its manual tipping (hydraulics would be nice)...but it was a freebie  so i wont complain. Post a pic of your one  you get a chance ...haven't heard of that make.